• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 6.5 The Return of Bum

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What, you got a problem with Strick walking a .200 hitter in the 9th on 5 pitches?
The only walk issued by a Giants' pitcher last night. The D-Backs hit like the Giants used to (getting only one walk and only 3 extra-base hits) but still beat us! I should also point out that our batters drew 5 walks! Stokes, you should be flabbergasted.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only walk issued by a Giants' pitcher last night. The D-Backs hit like the Giants used to (getting only one walk and only 3 extra-base hits) but still beat us! I should also point out that our batters drew 5 walks! Stokes, you should be flabbergasted.
The story of last night was the lack of clutch hitting.

Period.

End of sentence.

One of the more infuriating games in a while.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did this today too:

Max Scherzer just tossed an immaculate inning against the Rays. Nine pitches, nine strikes, three whiffs. He's the second hurler to throw an immaculate inning this season. Baltimore's Kevin Gausman was the other. Through six frames, Scherzer's faced 19 hitters and thrown a grand total of 12 balls. Suffice it to say, he's locked in.

He's had 2 of those, only 4 other pitchers ever have. The other four are all Hall of Famers: Lefty Grove, Sandy Koufax, Nolan Ryan, and Randy Johnson.
Who is the last Giant to toss an immaculate inning?

Hint: There were no foul balls.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is the last Giant to toss an immaculate inning?

Hint: There were no foul balls.

Casilla.

Also, don't foul balls count against an immaculate inning? So if there was a foul, it wouldn't be an immaculate inning

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casilla.

Also, don't foul balls count against an immaculate inning? So if there was a foul, it wouldn't be an immaculate inning

depends upon when the foul ball is hit. If with two strikes then yes, it would end the immaculate inning (since you'd need more than 9 pitches to complete the inning); if with less than 2 strikes then no, since it would just be another strike.

What I heard mentioned today was that Scherzer had two foul balls of his 9 strikes yesterday.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends upon when the foul ball is hit. If with two strikes then yes, it would end the immaculate inning (since you'd need more than 9 pitches to complete the inning); if with less than 2 strikes then no, since it would just be another strike.

What I heard mentioned today was that Scherzer had two foul balls of his 9 strikes yesterday.

Gotcha, that makes sense. And it's even more impressive

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The story of last night was the lack of clutch hitting.

Period.

End of sentence.

One of the more infuriating games in a while.
Even a clutch sac fly would have probably been the difference. :tsk:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My takes from last night, as I had pretty good seats behind home plate.

1. Bum threw his change a bunch...he almost never throws it but Buster kept calling for it and he was really locating it well.
2. Corbin was also throwing his change and it was FILTHY...he pitched really well.
3. Longo missed two grounders that would have won the game for us...he wasn't charged with an error on either but both should have been made. OTOH, he made a beautiful play on a barehand pickup of a swinging bunt.
4. Hernandez just Gorked all over home plate...repeatedly.
5. Bum gave up a few hard hits but looked pretty good. ESPECIALLY since the change is a "late in ST" type feel pitch but he was throwing it all night. I think he's go no rust.

All in all, a good game. I approve, even though we lost.