• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5.20 Fraudres @ the Hebrew

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bart is a complete rally killer. I would not be destroyed if they decided to send him down for a few weeks. Even if just for a bit of a system reboot.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our bullpen es no bueno.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our bullpen es no bueno.
Imho, it is more about they are trying to put Doval in a position he just isn’t ready for. He is a kid, and professionally immature. He doesn’t have the confidence yet for the situations they continually put him into.

but the only way to get through that wall is to put him into that situation and allow him to succeed. But if he continues to fail, re you causing more lack of confidence, or muscling through the lack of confidence? They know these players, so I will concede to their opinion, but I am not convinced myself.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imho, it is more about they are trying to put Doval in a position he just isn’t ready for. He is a kid, and professionally immature. He doesn’t have the confidence yet for the situations they continually put him into.

but the only way to get through that wall is to put him into that situation and allow him to succeed. But if he continues to fail, re you causing more lack of confidence, or muscling through the lack of confidence? They know these players, so I will concede to their opinion, but I am not convinced myself.
It's not just Doval.

In our championship years, it wasn't just the closer. It was the long reliever, the LOOGY, the setup guy, the eighth inning guy, the closer. All down the line, we had quality, and Bochy/Posey knew what to do with them.

We aren't there yet.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree that 'closers' are made and not born into the role. You learn through experience. It's a needed process. But, there is something different about Doval this year. Batters are getting wood on the ball. Much more than last year. I personally expected Doval to be fighting control issues this year. Anyone who throws that hard usually has them and needs to learn how to use his speed and control that aspect of the game. I guess he is still learning but I also feel he's become a lot more hittable this year.

i also think that May-Fan hit the nail on the head!
It's not just Doval. As a closer he's more 'noticeable '. For me the biggest change so far has been Rogers. It just seems like he's getting hit in almost every outing. That 15 run disaster against the Nats was a preety good indication of our pen's problems.
It took awhule last season for the pen to settle in. MAybe that will happen again this year

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our bullpen es no bueno.

I would agree with Mays-Fan, its more than Doval (although I think that Doval may not be quite as bad as last night's game would suggest. He is having his hiccups but his season numbers are not bad).
Consider this:
McGee has been disastrous so far this season. I hope that it was only the injury and he is better now (he started a rehab assignment with Sacramento).
Castro, Beede and Marte all looked poor in their appearances and are rightfully off the team (I'm changing my mind on Beede but hope he does well in Pittsburgh).
Rogers has looked very shaky lately and hope he turns it around.
Alvarez and Littell have looked even worse! Both have fallen off considerably from what they were able to do last year.
Leone's ERA hides some ugly numbers (1.42 WHIP, .308 BAA)

All these guys are worse than Doval. In fact, I'd say he's probably the 3rd or 4th best reliever in the bullpen (depending on if you believe Llovera's start is legitimate, which is very doubtful). Doval only has a .197 BAA and has given up only 1 home run in 16.2 IP. He just needs to better handle stressful situations, which is why he may not be ready for the primary spot in the bullpen. Of course, no one else may be ready, outside of maybe Garcia (arguably, Brebbia should be in the mix too).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just Doval.

In our championship years, it wasn't just the closer. It was the long reliever, the LOOGY, the setup guy, the eighth inning guy, the closer. All down the line, we had quality, and Bochy/Posey knew what to do with them.

We aren't there yet.
The LOOGY/ROOGY has been legislated out of the game. minor point, but a point nonetheless.

I like our bully. Stumbles will happen no matter who you have. Alvarez, Garcia, Brebbia, Rogers, Leone all all solid right now. Doval is a stud in the making. Castro, Santos, Long, Hjelle, Littell, McGee are all depth/developing.

Maybe we can tweak a bit through the year, but I am AOK with the bully as is (org-wise).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The LOOGY/ROOGY has been legislated out of the game. minor point, but a point nonetheless.

I like our bully. Stumbles will happen no matter who you have. Alvarez, Garcia, Brebbia, Rogers, Leone all all solid right now. Doval is a stud in the making. Castro, Santos, Long, Hjelle, Littell, McGee are all depth/developing.

Maybe we can tweak a bit through the year, but I am AOK with the bully as is (org-wise).
Our bullpen ERA this year is 3.75, good for 17th in MLB.

Average numbers yield average results.

Not saying they can't improve, but right now, they aren't our strong point as they have been in the past.