• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5.2 Let's get swept! (10:35 am)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha! Good lord that’s harsh. The Giants have three rock solid starters and should get two more guys with serious potential at the break
It’s impossible that they will hit this poorly for much longer
I'm not cal but I don't think the ace swipe was aimed at the Giants' rotation. It was just an example illustrating his point.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha! Good lord that’s harsh. The Giants have three rock solid starters and should get two more guys with serious potential at the break
It’s impossible that they will hit this poorly for much longer

I'm not cal but I don't think the ace swipe was aimed at the Giants' rotation. It was just an example illustrating his point.
Not a swipe at the Giants at all. Just an example to make my point.

Every team has a guy who hits in the #1 spot in the order. Not every team has a “lead off hitter”.

Every team has a guy who hits in the #4 spot in the order. Not every team has a “clean up hitter”.

Every team has a guys who pitches on opening day. Not every team has an “Ace”.

Every team has guy who hit in the middle of the order. That doesn’t make those guys “Middle of the order bats”.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was at yesterday's game, so only fitting we'd lose that one. Seeing Yaz Jr. hit a home run was cool though.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably went right over my head as usual

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, baseball is weird as you know game by game. My putrid White Sox swept the Rays this past weekend...then got swept by the Twins

Chalk for this series would be Phillies take 2, big success for us would be Giants take 2 somehow
I think you missed my point. It's a four game series with a wraparound game Monday.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cobb looks to be another few weeks away. Ray even further. Not sure if Snell will take rehab starts but wouldn’t be surprised. Black should get looks until one of them is ready. The Giants squandered two opportunities to see what he could do after Snell went down. Not sure why they felt bullpen games were a better option than him.
You'd have to know his day to day development at Sac and talk to the pitching coaches. Perhaps he's been working on a grip, mechanics, etc. and they want to see him repeat it before promotion. this assumption that they are idiots gets old.

Not saying thats your assumption.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that the team sold him as a middle of an order bat shows their desperation to look like they did what they sought to do this past offseason. His OPS+ has been right at average (100 in 2021) to slightly above average (116 in 2022) the past three seasons. That is quite the difference to the 3 seasons prior to that, where his OPS+ was between 120 and 137. As you mention, hardly a "middle of the order bat".

Oh, and @tzill , good news. His K rate this year is lower than its been since 2019. Either that, or there is going to be some regression in how often he strikes out.
I saw that. Let's hope he really has learned some zone discipline. I'm not a Chappy hater, especially given what we signed him for.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was at yesterday's game, so only fitting we'd lose that one. Seeing Yaz Jr. hit a home run was cool though.
He did the same thing the other time he came there to play. The fans in Boston loved it.

He had a funny comment on the radio, says they heckle him there saying "hey Mike your grandpa was way better than you!" and he's thinking "yeah I know that, try another heckle"

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a swipe at the Giants at all. Just an example to make my point.

Every team has a guy who hits in the #1 spot in the order. Not every team has a “lead off hitter”.

Every team has a guy who hits in the #4 spot in the order. Not every team has a “clean up hitter”.

Every team has a guys who pitches on opening day. Not every team has an “Ace”.

Every team has guy who hit in the middle of the order. That doesn’t make those guys “Middle of the order bats”.
Sure, but how many teams have hitters with "30 HR power?"

Where is BB9 these days, anyway?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you missed my point. It's a four game series with a wraparound game Monday.
Oh shit LOL thought it was 3. Then yes a split would be a very good outcome.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cobb looks to be another few weeks away. Ray even further. Not sure if Snell will take rehab starts but wouldn’t be surprised. Black should get looks until one of them is ready. The Giants squandered two opportunities to see what he could do after Snell went down. Not sure why they felt bullpen games were a better option than him.
Black is an interesting option

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd have to know his day to day development at Sac and talk to the pitching coaches. Perhaps he's been working on a grip, mechanics, etc. and they want to see him repeat it before promotion. this assumption that they are idiots gets old.

Not saying thats your assumption.
They rushed Landen Roupp to the big leagues, completely skipping over AAA, just after missing most of the season due to injury. Not sure why they would rush Roupp and hold Black back for developmental purposes. Then again, Roupp seemed like a desperation move, maybe they learned and are exhibiting more patience with Black.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black is an interesting option
Wesley Snipes Always Bet On Black GIF

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They rushed Landen Roupp to the big leagues, completely skipping over AAA, just after missing most of the season due to injury. Not sure why they would rush Roupp and hold Black back for developmental purposes. Then again, Roupp seemed like a desperation move, maybe they learned and are exhibiting more patience with Black.
Or there were 17 things they knew/know about Roupp and Black that we don't.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even the lowly sorry ass A’s have a 5 game winning streak. It’s getting ridiculous