• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5.10 Gnats @ Manuuuugh

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

Spider/Disco/SonOfTy/Lumber is a very nice four. Just need a fifth.

JJ, step up.
I have very little faith in Wood. He should be the #6/long man, sharing duties (hehe…. He said “duties”) with Junis. Harrison will be in the ration before the end of the year.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have very little faith in Wood. He should be the #6/long man, sharing duties (hehe…. He said “duties”) with Junis. Harrison will be in the ration before the end of the year.
Wood has been good so far (in very SSS 2023 numbers). I'm okay with keeping him in the rotation once his rehab is finished but making him a long man quickly if he begins to falter in his starts.

Harrison, by the way, is slooooooooooooowly being stretched out this season. In 7 starts, his innings pitched has gone from 1st to last start: 2, 0.2, 3.1, 3, 3, 3.2, 4, 4.
He is being stingy with hits (11 in 19.2 IP) but he has issued 21 walks so far. I don't think he is ready for a promotion yet but if he can begin to pitch at least 5 innings and get some better control, he could be ready by mid June.
Edit: I failed to mention that he is limiting extra bases to just 2 doubles and 1 triple, with no home runs allowed yet! That is huge in the PCL.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants don’t value eating innings as a starter, so I don’t think getting him stretched to 5 innings (or whatever) is a real focus. If they think he can give 4 effective innings, THAT will not be the deciding factor in preventing his call up.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants don’t value eating innings as a starter, so I don’t think getting him stretched to 5 innings (or whatever) is a real focus. If they think he can give 4 effective innings, THAT will not be the deciding factor in preventing his call up.
It is a trend at AAA to use bulk innings guys instead of the traditional starter. Still a bit surprised that Harrison is being used that way, since it didn't seem to be the case last year, but this is FZ's ship. You are probably correct. Still, I think that he won't be until for another month, at the earliest, barring injuries. They are not going to give up on Stripling and Manaea that early and Wood is just about ready to return.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mays-Fan , is today's thread more palatable?
The thread, yes. The game, no.

This is what happens when you under-offer for quality (Judge), and overpay for has-beens (Manaea, Stripling, Conforto, Haniger) to make up for it.

Yeah, it's easy to say after-the-fact. Guilty. And they may yet come around. But even I will admit it just is not looking good, or turning out well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what happens when you under-offer for quality (Judge), and overpay for has-beens (Manaea, Stripling, Conforto, Haniger) to make up for it.

Yeah, it's easy to say after-the-fact. Guilty. And they may yet come around. But even I will admit it just is not looking good, or turning out well.
I am not sure it is fair to say the under-offered for Judge. I suspect the Spanks essentially said “We are keeping you. We know you want to go to the Giants and the Giants want you, so we will let them do our negotiating for us. Get an offer from them, and we will do that deal +5%.”

Essentially, the Giants had next to no chance to land him, we were just doing the Yankees work for them.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure it is fair to say the under-offered for Judge. I suspect the Spanks essentially said “We are keeping you. We know you want to go to the Giants and the Giants want you, so we will let them do our negotiating for us. Get an offer from them, and we will do that deal +5%.”

Essentially, the Giants had next to no chance to land him, we were just doing the Yankees work for them.
But, IIRC, the financial offers were the same.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, IIRC, the financial offers were the same.
And there were reports that the Pads offered MORE.

I wasn’t in the room. I don’t know the exact agreement he had with the Spanks. But I do believe that the fix was in pretty much from the start. He was staying with the Spanks, and the Giants just negotiated his contract for them.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't thrilled with much of the guys that they signed but each has past success to suggest that there is a possibility that any/all of them could come around. I have to remind myself that the season is still young and they could have a really good year still. My biggest issue was going all in on reclamation projects of some level on all acquisitions. Either it was banking that the player finally figured something out (i.e. Stripling), just had a one year blip (i.e. Manaea) or would be healthy (i.e. Haniger and Conforto).
Gambling on some guys is fine. Gambling on practically your whole offseason worth of acquisitions is dicey. So far, we are seeing the worst case scenario in terms of results. Just like I think it was doubtful that all would hit, I am doubtful that all will miss. At least one of the these guys will come around (hopefully).
My bigger gripe with how the offseason went was that the state goal by FZ was to get younger and more athletic. The guys he signed didn't really hit either qualifications (technically, the team got a little bit younger but that wasn't hard to do with the average roster age the Giants have fielded the past couple of seasons). Stuff like that makes me wonder if anything he says should be trusted.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there were reports that the Pads offered MORE.

I wasn’t in the room. I don’t know the exact agreement he had with the Spanks. But I do believe that the fix was in pretty much from the start. He was staying with the Spanks, and the Giants just negotiated his contract for them.
We're both right, if this article is true:

"The Giants did everything they could to lure Aaron Judge back home to the Bay Area. All the New York Yankees had to do was match their effort.

Jon Heyman of The New York Post reported Wednesday that the Giants offered Judge a nine-year contract worth $360 million. Judge reportedly also landed a 10-year, $400-million contract offer from the San Diego Padres in a surprise, last-minute meeting Tuesday, per USA Today's Bob Nightengale."

Also:

• Page Odle of PSI Sports Management says the offer from San Diego was worth more than $400 million. Two other sources briefed on the matter said it was in the range of $415 million, over a term that would have been at least 12 years.
  • The Padres paid for a private jet to fly Judge’s agents, family and dog from Tampa Bay to San Diego. They met privately at Petco Park for three hours with a group that included owner Peter Seidler, general manager A.J. Preller, assistant GM Josh Stein and manager Bob Melvin.
  • Judge agreed to re-sign with the Yankees on a nine-year, $360 million deal.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No reasonable amount of money would have got Judge here. He used us from the jump to push the Yankees.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reasonable amount of money would have got Judge here. He used us from the jump to push the Yankees.
Probably you're right.

But it's OK. We'll sign him when his Yankees contract is up. 5 years, $200mm. In today's dollars.