• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 4.13 Blachparty @ SADres

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To follow up on this, Longoria strikes out looking and Krukow goes on about other things.

Granted the situations are different, but Belt is always susceptible to bashing, for whatever reason.
Years of groundwork. Longoria has a track record of being a good bat and a team leader.

Also, not a good idea to foment hatred for a new guy who will be around for another 4 years after this season.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belt just appears to be so effing stubborn. He wouldn’t change his grip until about 2 years of the coaches trying to get him to loosen up, and he doesn’t realize that umpires are sometimes wrong on called strikes, yet he always puts them in tight situations where they need to make a call.

Stubborn is the only way to explain it.

Didn't he drastically change his swing in the minors, then again in the majors? I don't want to comment on his stubbornness because we don't really know, but if Belt gets in trouble for his stubbornness, why doesn't Panda?

It's just a stigma on Belt for whatever reason. He's always the target of criticism, no matter what he does.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough play, but THAT is why you are here, dude. You gotta make that play.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he drastically change his swing in the minors, then again in the majors? I don't want to comment on his stubbornness because we don't really know, but if Belt gets in trouble for his stubbornness, why doesn't Panda?

It's just a stigma on Belt for whatever reason. He's always the target of criticism, no matter what he does.
I think Sandoval does get shit for his bad habits. Who excuses Sandoval?

And Belt is paid 17M while playing an elite batting position while Sandoval is making league min (as far as the Giants are concerned) and is a backup.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never seen this guy pitch. The strike zone monitor doesn’t register with him. LOL

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sandoval does get shit for his bad habits. Who excuses Sandoval?

And Belt is paid 17M while playing an elite batting position while Sandoval is making league min (as far as the Giants are concerned) and is a backup.

The same people who attack Belt. The Giants were ready to give Sandoval the same money he got from Boston, yet he swings at everything and can't keep his weight in check. With him it's "well, he can hit it sometimes so it's cool" and "his fastness contains all his power" etc.

IDK it's just a weird thing with Belt. You have to admit he's ALWAYS criticized, no matter what he does it isn't good enough. It's tough to explain, MSG probably put it best. He's just so damn polarizing.

Probably because people have unreal expectations for him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see the excusers for Sandoval that you do. I have no idea where you see those arguments.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing there was already an out. That was almost a triple play.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see the excusers for Sandoval that you do. I have no idea where you see those arguments.

This started with Kruk, so we'll start there. When has he ever had a bad thing to say about him? I don't recall.

Bochy is another that doesn't seem to really like Belt (but we don't really know), but Pablo is one of his favorites.

The fans? Most got tired of Pablo I think. But before he went to Boston he had his fair share of supporters.

IDK, there's not really a perfect example here because Belt is scrutinized so much compared the good he does.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a classic Giants-Padres game in terms of pace of play. 2 hours, 30 minutes

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 singles.

Maybe if Cal goes tomorrow, and I get down there on Sun we can take the series from these Puds.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This started with Kruk, so we'll start there. When has he ever had a bad thing to say about him? I don't recall.

Bochy is another that doesn't seem to really like Belt (but we don't really know), but Pablo is one of his favorites.

The fans? Most got tired of Pablo I think. But before he went to Boston he had his fair share of supporters.

IDK, there's not really a perfect example here because Belt is scrutinized so much compared the good he does.
Sandoval has had his critics but the comparison, from my subjective memory, is that the criticism on Sandoval usually went something like "he needs to lose weight and work harder" but never really called for him to be gone or get benched. I think a lot of fans that turned on him turned when he chose the Red Sox over the Giants and dropped some choice words on his way out the door. Even then, with his mediocre play (when healthy), he was still welcomed back by a majority of fans.
Belt's criticism, on the other hand, is usually "this guy is useless! Get rid of him now!" A lot of fans usually look at his batting average and home runs and are ready to send him to San Jose permanently. If he were to skip town, nicely, for a contract elsewhere, and come back on a league minimum deal, a lot more fans would not be happy about it.
It is a lot about perception. Sandoval was more marketable. He hit three home runs in a World Series game. But his offensive career with the Giants isn't miles better than Belt's. Yet many people (and probably some announcers and coaches) would say there is no comparison.
That is my subjective opinion.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My fault. I should have gone tonight.

10 singles.

Maybe if Cal goes tomorrow, and I get down there on Sun we can take the series from these Puds.
giphy.gif

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-13_21-59-10.jpeg
    upload_2018-4-13_21-59-10.jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a Belt hater, but I tend to play one on this board since that POV is needed as a counter-weight here.

That said, one thing that kinda irritates me about the “Belt-apologists” is when they claim that the “haters” just want Belt to go away. For me, at least (and any time I hear any reasoned argument against him) they just want to TRADE him. They realize he has value, and covet THE RETURN the Giants would get IN A TRADE. If the Giants don’t get a good haul in return, than KEEP HIM.

That is far different from “send him to San Jose permenantly”.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandoval has had his critics but the comparison, from my subjective memory, is that the criticism on Sandoval usually went something like "he needs to lose weight and work harder" but never really called for him to be gone or get benched. I think a lot of fans that turned on him turned when he chose the Red Sox over the Giants and dropped some choice words on his way out the door. Even then, with his mediocre play (when healthy), he was still welcomed back by a majority of fans.
Belt's criticism, on the other hand, is usually "this guy is useless! Get rid of him now!" A lot of fans usually look at his batting average and home runs and are ready to send him to San Jose permanently. If he were to skip town, nicely, for a contract elsewhere, and come back on a league minimum deal, a lot more fans would not be happy about it.
It is a lot about perception. Sandoval was more marketable. He hit three home runs in a World Series game. But his offensive career with the Giants isn't miles better than Belt's. Yet many people (and probably some announcers and coaches) would say there is no comparison.
That is my subjective opinion.

Thank for summing it up much better than I haha

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a Belt hater, but I tend to play one on this board since that POV is needed as a counter-weight here.

That said, one thing that kinda irritates me about the “Belt-apologists” is when they claim that the “haters” just want Belt to go away. For me, at least (and any time I hear any reasoned argument against him) they just want to TRADE him. They realize he has value, and covet THE RETURN the Giants would get IN A TRADE. If the Giants don’t get a good haul in return, than KEEP HIM.

I know you're not, most of the time I'm not directing this at you per say. I have a pretty good feel of your stance on him.

There are always multiple camps of thought in regards to players, even some of the very best. But #BeltBash is one of the more cancerous in recent memory. I hear people on KNBR (I know, not the greatest representation of fans) and on Twitter (I know, even worse) continuously clamor for Belt's removal at any cost.

What never fails to make me laugh is those same fans bringing up proposals like "trade Belt for Stanton" or whatever. They hate the guy, but want to trade him for the moon.

It's just a weird situation.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you're not, most of the time I'm not directing this at you per say. I have a pretty good feel of your stance on him.

There are always multiple camps of thought in regards to players, even some of the very best. But #BeltBash is one of the more cancerous in recent memory. I hear people on KNBR (I know, not the greatest representation of fans) and on Twitter (I know, even worse) continuously clamor for Belt's removal at any cost.

What never fails to make me laugh is those same fans bringing up proposals like "trade Belt for Stanton" or whatever. They hate the guy, but want to trade him for the moon.

It's just a weird situation.
You realize that fan = fanatic?

And callers into KNBR are not there to have long discussions concerning the subtleties of accepting frustrated good players. And Twitter acts as an avenue for fans to voice their thought du minute in an exaggerated manner.

Are you next going to start to quote Salty and treat him like “most fans”?

C’mon, man. You are better than that.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize that fan = fanatic?

And callers into KNBR are not there to have long discussions concerning the subtleties of accepting frustrated good players. And Twitter acts as an avenue for fans to voice their thought du minute in an exaggerated manner.

Are you next going to start to quote Salty and treat him like “most fans”?

C’mon, man. You are better than that.

True true.

This started with Kruk, and by extension Boch or other staff members, and I fear this topic got more to the side than I anticipated.

For whatever reason Kruk doesn't like Belt, and I find that weird.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cal, I wasn't going for the reasonable fan who is more realistic, like you (even though you do have your faults, you Belt hater :heh:). I thought the point, that I was trying to support, had to do with the more "common" criticism of both players. My view is limited because I don't listen to KNBR, I just respond to what I read on the net (does that term date me?).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cal, I wasn't going for the reasonable fan who is more realistic, like you (even though you do have your faults, you Belt hater :heh:). I thought the point, that I was trying to support, had to do with the more "common" criticism of both players. My view is limited because I don't listen to KNBR, I just respond to what I read on the net (does that term date me?).
If you mention the news groups you subscribe to, your BBS buddies on Delphi or the AOL keyword, then THAT will date you. “Net” is completely valid (unless that dates me... :gaah:)