• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Top Prospects

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball America posted their 2018 Top 10 for the Giants already (2018 San Francisco Giants Top 10 Prospects | BaseballAmerica.com):
1. Heliot Ramos, of
2. Chris Shaw, of
3. Tyler Beede, rhp
4. Christian Arroyo, ss-3rd
5. Bryan Reynolds, of
6. Aramis Garcia, c
7. Garrett Williams, lhp
8. Steven Duggar, of
9. Sandro Fabian, of
10. Andrew Suarez, lhp

Personally, I think Garcia is ranked too high. Maybe shouldn't even be in the top 10. Probably would put CJ Hinojosa or Ryan Howard in the 10 spot.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball America posted their 2018 Top 10 for the Giants already (2018 San Francisco Giants Top 10 Prospects | BaseballAmerica.com):
1. Heliot Ramos, of
2. Chris Shaw, of
3. Tyler Beede, rhp
4. Christian Arroyo, ss-3rd
5. Bryan Reynolds, of
6. Aramis Garcia, c
7. Garrett Williams, lhp
8. Steven Duggar, of
9. Sandro Fabian, of
10. Andrew Suarez, lhp

Personally, I think Garcia is ranked too high. Maybe shouldn't even be in the top 10. Probably would put CJ Hinojosa or Ryan Howard in the 10 spot.
I was planning on putting my list together later in the off season, but...

I still don’t get the love for Reynolds. Yet. He is on my radar, sure. But he has not done anything to make me think he has a ceiling higher than Nate or Mac or EME. I am not certain he will even be in my top 10.

I like Garcia, but I am not certain yet that he will be any more successful than Susac. He certainly will not be the one to push Posey.

Not sure why Duggar is so low. Injury concerns?

Slater is still a rookie, therefore, should be listed. I wonder if he was an oversight or an intentional omission. Same with Crick.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still don’t get the love for Reynolds. Yet. He is on my radar, sure. But he has not done anything to make me think he has a ceiling higher than Nate or Mac or EME. I am not certain he will even be in my top 10.

I like Garcia, but I am not certain yet that he will be any more successful than Susac. He certainly will not be the one to push Posey.

Slater is still a rookie, therefore, should be listed. I wonder if he was an oversight or an intentional omission. Same with Crick.
I forgot both Slater and Crick. I'd put Slater on the top 10 and remove Reynolds. His numbers are okay but not great for a top 10. A few guys that should at least be considered to round out the top 20:
Pat Ruotolo - Looked good in relief at Augusta last year.
John Russell - 2017 16th round pick had a great debut at Salem-Keizer
DJ Snelten - Lefty pitched well in relief at AAA
Franklin Van Gurp - Another 2017 pick (25th) who looked amazing in his debut
Stetson Woods - A righty pitcher who looked solid in his first full season starting. He turns 23 in January and should land either in Augusta or San Jose.
Orlando Garcia, 2nd-ss - Looks like a solid hitting middle infielder who showed some patience and a bit of pop. Another 2017 draftee (19th).
Jacob Gonzalez, 3rd - The 2017 2nd round pick should move through the organization fairly quickly.
Ryan Howard, ss - He looks like a decent backup (not unlike Tomlinson).
Logan Baldwin, of - A 21st round pick from 2017, he should power and patience at Salem-Keizer.
Aaron Bond, of - A 12th round pick from 2017, another outfielder who looked good in rookie ball.
Ismael Munguia, of - An international signee from Nicaragua, at 18 years old, he showed a good batting eye (17 walks to 18 strikeouts), speed and pop. Its early, but he may be a guy who finally shows a return from the international front.

This would be my rough top 20:
1. Shaw
2. Beede
3. Ramos
4. Arroyo
5. Duggar
6. Slater
7. Williams
8. Suarez
9. Crick
10. Gonzalez
11. Reynolds
12. Garcia
13. Munguia
14. Snelten
15. Baldwin
16. Ruotolo
17. Van Gurp
18. Bond
19. Garcia
20. Russell

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what I have seen in Garcia. His defense is improving, and he is a good situational hitter. He's an RBI machine, averaging almost an RBI for every game played. His plate patience in the AFL was terrible, though, as I think he had one walk.

Still, the Giants are not deep with catchers. The Susac comparison might be valid, but I wouldn't sell him short.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot both Slater and Crick. I'd put Slater on the top 10 and remove Reynolds. His numbers are okay but not great for a top 10. A few guys that should at least be considered to round out the top 20:
Stetson Woods - A righty pitcher who looked solid in his first full season starting. He turns 23 in January and should land either in Augusta or San Jose.
Orlando Garcia, 2nd-ss - Looks like a solid hitting middle infielder who showed some patience and a bit of pop. Another 2017 draftee (19th).
Jacob Gonzalez, 3rd - The 2017 2nd round pick should move through the organization fairly quickly.
Logan Baldwin, of - A 21st round pick from 2017, he should power and patience at Salem-Keizer.
Aaron Bond, of - A 12th round pick from 2017, another outfielder who looked good in rookie ball.
Ismael Munguia, of - An international signee from Nicaragua, at 18 years old, he showed a good batting eye (17 walks to 18 strikeouts), speed and pop. Its early, but he may be a guy who finally shows a return from the international front.

1. Shaw
2. Beede
3. Ramos
4. Arroyo
5. Duggar
6. Slater
7. Williams
8. Suarez
9. Crick
10. Gonzalez
11. Reynolds
12. Garcia
13. Munguia
14. Snelten
15. Baldwin
16. Ruotolo
17. Van Gurp
18. Bond
19. Garcia
20. Russell

Here's your international guy:

Alex Canario

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reynolds is a tweener at this point, which isn't great for his stock. I'd definitely have Duggar over him, because I think his strengths and weaknesses profile better for both CF and corner OF than Reynolds.

If I were him, since he's probably not getting any faster, I would look to lift and separate more often (aka, start hitting for some power).

He has the ability, just needs to change his swing dramatically.

Which leads me to my next thought, wonder if the Giants' philosophy is going to change with some guys. Reynolds very much fit the Arroyo/Panik/Duffy/Slater etc. mold, wonder if that changes going forward and they ask/let him change things up.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Shaw
2. Beede
3. Ramos
4. Arroyo
5. Duggar
6. Slater
7. Williams
8. Suarez
9. Crick
10. Gonzalez
11. Reynolds
12. Garcia
13. Munguia
14. Snelten
15. Baldwin
16. Ruotolo
17. Van Gurp
18. Bond
19. Garcia
20. Russell

No love for Sandro Fabian?

Got stronger as the season went on.

.333/.353/.505 from July 4th onward. For his first full-season pretty impressive, especially compared to a number of other high-profile guys who fell on their face the first time.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Shaw
2. Beede
3. Ramos
4. Arroyo
5. Duggar
6. Slater
7. Williams
8. Suarez
9. Crick
10. Gonzalez
11. Reynolds
12. Garcia
13. Munguia
14. Snelten
15. Baldwin
16. Ruotolo
17. Van Gurp
18. Bond
19. Garcia
20. Russell

By the way, Munguia (who I'm a fan of as well) is TINY. He's not as tall as his listed 5'10", though he's not quite Altuve size. Speaking of Altuve, that is his favorite player unsurprisingly. Not making this stuff up.

As you said though, has good speed/pop combo and is just a bolt of energy. I think he's definitely going to be a guy that makes some noise just because of his size/performance ratio.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to wait on my list a little while.

I understand Baseball America and other publishers have a plan. They draw them out to stay relevant throughout the offseason instead of dumping it all on us in January, but so much happens between now and then, prospects move and such.

With Stanton rumors, Cueto rumors, the rule-5 draft, Panik rumors etc., just going to wait a bit.

Definitely love discussing the current guys though :D

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to wait on my list a little while.

I understand Baseball America and other publishers have a plan. They draw them out to stay relevant throughout the offseason instead of dumping it all on us in January, but so much happens between now and then, prospects move and such.

With Stanton rumors, Cueto rumors, the rule-5 draft, Panik rumors etc., just going to wait a bit.

Definitely love discussing the current guys though :D
Yeah. I think going into ST is a pretty good time to exchange lists. Especially with where the org is right now. The whole thing may just be turned on it’s head in the next few months.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No love for Sandro Fabian?

Got stronger as the season went on.

.333/.353/.505 from July 4th onward. For his first full-season pretty impressive, especially compared to a number of other high-profile guys who fell on their face the first time.
Doh! :doh: I completely forgot him. I was going to slot him at 11, so just move everyone down a spot from there.
1. Shaw
2. Beede
3. Ramos
4. Arroyo
5. Duggar
6. Slater
7. Williams
8. Suarez
9. Crick
10. Gonzalez
11. Fabian
12. Reynolds
13. A. Garcia
14. Munguia
15. Snelten
16. Baldwin
17. Ruotolo
18. Van Gurp
19. Bond
20. O. Garcia

I should note, this is my completely amateur and ignorant list. I would not be surprised if I got this all wrong.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doh! :doh: I completely forgot him. I was going to slot him at 11, so just move everyone down a spot from there.
1. Shaw
2. Beede
3. Ramos
4. Arroyo
5. Duggar
6. Slater
7. Williams
8. Suarez
9. Crick
10. Gonzalez
11. Fabian
12. Reynolds
13. A. Garcia
14. Munguia
15. Snelten
16. Baldwin
17. Ruotolo
18. Van Gurp
19. Bond
20. O. Garcia

I should note, this is my completely amateur and ignorant list. I would not be surprised if I got this all wrong.

Haha it's all good, makes for good discussion.

He had a pretty 'forgettable' year on the surface but scouts still think highly of him. Then you compare his season to Arroyo's, Jones' and Fox's first seasons in full-season ball and realize it's more impressive what he's done. Then you think that Ramos may be in this position next year facing similar adversity.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gomez, Stratton and Jones are still prospects as well...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally off the top of my head. NOT my actual list...

1) Shaw
2) Arroyo
3) Beede
4) Ramos
5) Slater
6) Duggar
7) Suarez
8) Stratton
9) Anderson
10) Gomez

I know this will change. I need to work on the valuation of proximity a bit. Stratton is basically ready, but will he be anything more than a #4? Jones is SUPER young, but he also looked SUPER over-matched. It was hard to really get an idea for Arroyo and Gomez due to injuries.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My updated Top 20:
1. Shaw
2. Beede
3. Ramos
4. Duggar
5. Slater
6. Williams
7. Suarez
8. Crick
9. Gonzalez
10. Fabian
11. Reynolds
12. A. Garcia
13. Stratton
14. Munguia
15. R. Jones
16. M. Gomez
17. Snelten
18. Baldwin
19. Ruotolo
20. Van Gurp

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My updated Top 20:
1. Shaw
2. Beede
3. Ramos
4. Duggar
5. Slater
6. Williams
7. Suarez
8. Crick
9. Gonzalez
10. Fabian
11. Reynolds
12. A. Garcia
13. Stratton
14. Munguia
15. R. Jones
16. M. Gomez
17. Snelten
18. Baldwin
19. Ruotolo
20. Van Gurp
The top 3 can go in any order, and the next 2 SHOULD be Duggar and Slater.

Anything past that is a crapshoot.