• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Regular Season Thread

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As terrible as this may sound: "Be careful what you wish for." After all, the danger with reaching 0.500 by mid-season is that the front office would most likely be deluded into thinking that they could contend for a wild card spot again. The only way to force them to focus on the rebuild process is for the 2018 Orioles to stay dead last all season long.
WEll we can't depend on wright , arugro how ever you spell it . both need to be gone and yaco down on sunday . play the young guys is our rebuild .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WEll we can't depend on wright , arugro how ever you spell it . both need to be gone and yaco down on sunday . play the young guys is our rebuild .
So how do you plan on dumping Davis then? No team is going to want him, even if we absorb a huge amount of his salary. And a buyout will also be very expensive.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how do you plan on dumping Davis then? No team is going to want him, even if we absorb a huge amount of his salary. And a buyout will also be very expensive.

as i always say about bad contracts davis is paid don't pay pay double if he isn't our best let him fly . btw hunter lines up for tuesday start . akin would be a day or two short on rest . be cool to let harvey go and then put hess back in the starters . hess will be sent down turns out the 26 th man doesn't have to wait anytime so we could have 2 young guys pitch this week .

Zephyrus001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As terrible as this may sound: "Be careful what you wish for." After all, the danger with reaching 0.500 by mid-season is that the front office would most likely be deluded into thinking that they could contend for a wild card spot again. The only way to force them to focus on the rebuild process is for the 2018 Orioles to stay dead last all season long.

I'm not concerned about a massive rebuild if the Birds turn things around and get to .500 by the All-Star break. If that were to happen, and the FO does consider the team a contender, then Dan might save his job and Buck might get new life as a decent manager. He definitely would be a Manager of the Year contender if the Birds make the post season after such a shitty start.

Why panic if the team gels and plays solid ball? Moves need to be made, but no need to unload the entire roster in a freak-out move. If that pitching gets solidified and the defense tightens up, there is no need to tank the season on purpose and 'stay dead' in order to rebuild. That would be foolish.

Zephyrus001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bundy looked like an Ace and those bats really woke up. It's amazing what a few added players can do to revitalize things.

Can't expect 17 runs every game, but if this type of offense becomes the norm, there is no reason why the Birds can't right what was a badly sinking ship.

Manny can stay and be a career Oriole like Cal, Brooks and Palmer. He's their star. In the event this is all a fluke and they go back to sucking ... blow the team up and bye-bye, Manny. For now, this team has new life and I want to see them get back to .500 ball. If that is accomplished, they need to stay above that and focus on getting to post season -- plus, make the right roster moves.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not concerned about a massive rebuild if the Birds turn things around and get to .500 by the All-Star break. If that were to happen, and the FO does consider the team a contender, then Dan might save his job and Buck might get new life as a decent manager. He definitely would be a Manager of the Year contender if the Birds make the post season after such a shitty start.

Why panic if the team gels and plays solid ball? Moves need to be made, but no need to unload the entire roster in a freak-out move. If that pitching gets solidified and the defense tightens up, there is no need to tank the season on purpose and 'stay dead' in order to rebuild. That would be foolish.

I wouldn't mind if the Orioles actually achieve a massive turnaround and reach the postseason... but realistically speaking, that's not going to happen, and my main concern is that this team could theoretically get to 0.500 from a hot streak and then stay there as a result of "regression to the mean."

In other words: Ideally, I'd like to see this team's rest-of-season win percentage to be either as close to 1 as possible, or as close to zero as possible ("missing the postseason by 1 game is the same as missing it by 40 or any other number"). Anything in between is suboptimal, because it would be hurting the long-term goal of rebuilding for zero short-term gain.

Last edited:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always good to be on the right side of a beat down like that yesterday. Glad to see Bundy returned to form after those last few starts. While it was a good week beating on two teams that we should've beaten, I still think we should be looking at trade partners for a bunch of players and prepare for the future.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Orioles announced that they have outrighted Renato Nunez to Triple-A after he cleared waivers. The Baltimore organization had just claimed Nunez itself.

With the series of moves, the O’s will gain control over Nunez without occupying a 40-man roster spot. Though he does not really fit well on the current roster, it’s certainly possible that Nunez could get a look in the majors if the Orioles undertake some summer trades.

Zephyrus001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much longer should Chris Davis be allowed in the starting line-up?

He's batting well-below the Mendoza Line and showing no improvement. In my opinion, he is a liability at the plate and costs the Birds scoring opportunities whenever he comes up to bat with RISP.

His only saving grace is his defense.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow that was a cheap homer off hess

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i get tired of watching gentry play .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's time to fire buck and dan .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's time to fire buck and dan .
Dan's just biding his time and Buck I think just doesn't have the passion he used to. Definitely need some new blood all around this organization.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan's just biding his time and Buck I think just doesn't have the passion he used to. Definitely need some new blood all around this organization.

WE NEED no favorites . earn your spot . dosch is having a good year at aaa so why give games awayat third . do i think dosch is out 3rd baseman of the future nope nountcastle is . mullins switch hitter having a good year at aa i think he is everyday cf next year . mancini needs the dl . susak uugggh i want sisco starting vs lhp .

hess should stay in rotation !!! i like his demeaner . our bp has scott ,givens blier and castro that i trust .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE NEED no favorites . earn your spot . dosch is having a good year at aaa so why give games awayat third . do i think dosch is out 3rd baseman of the future nope nountcastle is . mullins switch hitter having a good year at aa i think he is everyday cf next year . mancini needs the dl . susak uugggh i want sisco starting vs lhp .

hess should stay in rotation !!! i like his demeaner . our bp has scott ,givens blier and castro that i trust .
Agreed. Buck's reliance on some of the same guys no matter how awful they're doing is hurting the lineup. He'd probably put Adam Jones or Chris Davis out there in a wheelchair if he could over someone that's healthy.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much longer should Chris Davis be allowed in the starting line-up?

He's batting well-below the Mendoza Line and showing no improvement. In my opinion, he is a liability at the plate and costs the Birds scoring opportunities whenever he comes up to bat with RISP.

His only saving grace is his defense.

One of the problems is we have no one knocking the door to replace him. Start Alvarez over him at first? Buck is probably hoping hitting him every day will get him on a home run streak.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the problems is we have no one knocking the door to replace him. Start Alvarez over him at first? Buck is probably hoping hitting him every day will get him on a home run streak.
The best options I think we have right now at first would be either Trumbo or Mancini. Davis needs to go on the 10 day DL or just get sent down to Norfolk to work on his offensive mechanics because it's been awful all season.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best options I think we have right now at first would be either Trumbo or Mancini. Davis needs to go on the 10 day DL or just get sent down to Norfolk to work on his offensive mechanics because it's been awful all season.

Other than Manny this year everyone has been under performing in my opinion. They really need to clean house. Unfortunately, no one will ever touch Davis with that contract.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Manny this year everyone has been under performing in my opinion. They really need to clean house. Unfortunately, no one will ever touch Davis with that contract.
Which is why I would like to start cleaning house ASAP. It's obvious to just about everyone that the entire organization from the owner on down needs a massive overhaul and no better time to start it than now.