• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Open Championship. Carnoustie

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you open the Yahoo sports page you will find the lead story on The Open is all about Tiger. Below that are 3 more articles about Tiger and you will have to go to the sidebar and look 3 headlines down to see any mention of Molinari :L

ESPN did it too. That shocked me. I guess it shouldn't have. ESPN has been a joke for awhile. But the Golf Channel site did the same thing. Ridiculous.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN did it too. That shocked me. I guess it shouldn't have. ESPN has been a joke for awhile. But the Golf Channel site did the same thing. Ridiculous.

Humility doesn’t sell I guess.
He seems like an awesome person.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Humility doesn’t sell I guess.
He seems like an awesome person.

I guess he's that too and I knew they'd all play up Tiger. But I thought they'd at least let us know who won the damn thing first. I guess not.

As for Tiger, he's still fully capable of winning ... and winning majors. I'd say he has at least a 5 year window as long as he can stay injury free. But he doesn't putt like he used to. That's what used to separate him from the rest, imo. The guy never seemed to miss when it mattered. That's gone... at least for now.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes that course was tough but Tiger is supposed to be the GOAT. He showed that he still is good but not great.

At this pt in his career I would think that most objective folks would agree on that. He is one of the best in terms of his entire career, but neither Tiger nor any current golfer is going to dominate the game at this time.

Hell - J. Thomas & D. Johnson are also currently categorized in that manner & neither of them even made the cut. I give Tiger credit for at least getting to the pt of being competitive. It was not long ago that you would read from posters on forums like this that Tiger would get injured, not finish any tourneys or be an also ran. He has come a long way & can still get somewhat better - at least for a few more years.

I will take it for what it is - a decent performance & something where he has a shot in future tourneys. Nothing more - nothing less.

Reactions: GNG

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess he's that too and I knew they'd all play up Tiger. But I thought they'd at least let us know who won the damn thing first. I guess not.

As for Tiger, he's still fully capable of winning ... and winning majors. I'd say he has at least a 5 year window as long as he can stay injury free. But he doesn't putt like he used to. That's what used to separate him from the rest, imo. The guy never seemed to miss when it mattered. That's gone... at least for now.

Yep but he has seemed to improve somewhat in the putting area over the last month or so - we will see. As for the coverage - just the way the current lame media operates at this time. Get ready for similar coverage during the upcoming NBA season where you will see wall to wall LeBron coverage while the Lakers fight for the 7th or 8th slot in the Western Conference.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casual fans outnumber real fans. Casual fans want to read about Tiger. Real fans don't get their golf news from Yahoo.

British Open ratings spike with Tiger Woods in the hunt

Agree - ratings on Sunday were the highest in years & the logical conclusion is that Tiger contributed to this in a major way. Nobody has to like this - it is what it is. Should networks simply cater to "real fans"? Hell no - $$ are the bottom line. People need to get real about this.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Molinari on winning the British Open.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep but he has seemed to improve somewhat in the putting area over the last month or so - we will see. As for the coverage - just the way the current lame media operates at this time. Get ready for similar coverage during the upcoming NBA season where you will see wall to wall LeBron coverage while the Lakers fight for the 7th or 8th slot in the Western Conference.

I get it. But it would be like if, on night the Warriors won the championship, ESPN/basketball lead with a story about and full page picture of Lebron... and then down the page.. oh, and btw... the Warriors won the championship again.

Maybe they did that, idk, I haven't paid much attention to the NBA since the Pistons started sucking.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
British Open ratings spike with Tiger Woods in the hunt

Agree - ratings on Sunday were the highest in years & the logical conclusion is that Tiger contributed to this in a major way. Nobody has to like this - it is what it is. Should networks simply cater to "real fans"? Hell no - $$ are the bottom line. People need to get real about this.

Those two are just Tiger haters. I'm not a big fan of his either, but I don't hate him enough to ignore reality. The media understands that most people won't read more than two paragraphs about Francesco.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it. But it would be like if, on night the Warriors won the championship, ESPN/basketball lead with a story about and full page picture of Lebron... and then down the page.. oh, and btw... the Warriors won the championship again.

Maybe they did that, idk, I haven't paid much attention to the NBA since the Pistons started sucking.

Are you comparing Francesco Molinari to the Warriors??? I'm pretty sure a lot of people have heard of Kevin Durant and Steph Curry.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you comparing Francesco Molinari to the Warriors??? I'm pretty sure a lot of people have heard of Kevin Durant and Steph Curry.

Good pt. It would be more like if by some miracle the Jazz won the title. There would be some coverage about that but also likely more coverage about the Warriors, LeBron & other teams & players. Hell - what am I saying - they might as well already print a "Warriors win 2019 NBA title" right now. At least in golf there is some suspense & the outcome is not 100% certain.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Oh shit.

Again, don’t mic these guys if you aren’t going to expect some curse words.

Honestly - in 2018 is it a big deal to hear someone cursing on TV? Kids see & hear a lot worse on TV, on the web & certainly in person. I thought that this was one of the funniest moments in recent golf coverage & love how it was not even acknowledged.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like him or not, but Tiger moves the needle more than any player in history. I'd rather networks and such cover other guys, but it is what it is. Unfortunately...he looks to be getting closer and closer to truly contending in these big tournaments....and yes...you can make a legit case that TW is the greatest golfer in history.

Molinari was a rock, and most deservedly earned the title.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, I'm comparing The Open with the NBA Championship. I don't know whether they would have done the same thing if DJ, Rory, Speith or one of the bigger names had won, but I suspect they might have.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm comparing The Open with the NBA Championship. I don't know whether they would have done the same thing if DJ, Rory, Speith or one of the bigger names had won, but I suspect they might have.

Only to a degree. See my previous post about the ratings for this year when Tiger played. The ratings last year were much lower when Spieth won & other big names were involved. The golfers you mention don't attract casual fans for the most part. This is not about what diehard golfers or even the broadcast team wants to show & discuss. This is dictated by the networks & is fueled by $$.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that you have to acknowledge is that coverage of Tiger - both on TV & articles on the web - is not just about attracting folks who like Tiger. It is also about attracting Tiger haters who might bitch about it but several of them still watch him & even read related articles. The media doesn't care about why folks are drawn to something - they just care about getting money in some way.

Airraidtech

DAT DON'T MAKE NO SENSE!
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly - in 2018 is it a big deal to hear someone cursing on TV? Kids see & hear a lot worse on TV, on the web & certainly in person. I thought that this was one of the funniest moments in recent golf coverage & love how it was not even acknowledged.
Oh I got no issue I laughed. I’m glad they didn’t, I thought they would. It was a genuine human moment, a competitor in a championship competition is battle it out. Nothing wrong with a casual “oh shit” I instantly became a fan of the doode. Especially when he had that fucking child crying behind him.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only to a degree. See my previous post about the ratings for this year when Tiger played. The ratings last year were much lower when Spieth won & other big names were involved. The golfers you mention don't attract casual fans for the most part. This is not about what diehard golfers or even the broadcast team wants to show & discuss. This is dictated by the networks & is fueled by $$.

I get all of that. I'm not referring to all of the coverage he gets and got the past few days. I'm only referring to the what the various golf & sport sites led with immediately after the event ended. You had to scroll down or check the sidebar to find out who won the damn thing. That was ridiculous and not fitting for any sort of news organization.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media is to blame.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Molinari was over shadowed by Woods which is a darn shame as the Italian played some great golf going head to head with Tiger. The media is sickening with their wall to wall coverage on Woods.