• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Offseason

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacksonville... will once again ride their defense. And as history shows, that's all it takes to make a Super Bowl contender. But what's scariest, and ATL touched on it, is they have discovered they can win while their offense struggles. Theoretically if they can turn Bortles into a game manager then they will be a very difficult team to beat. Anything better for Bortles and they'll be lights out. Last year was the emergence, but this year with the tough schedule will be the true test of their mettle. I think Coughlin has that team prepped for many years of success, but I don't see them being a Dynasty until their QB can prove capable of consistency.

Houston... I can understand the hype, and considering their defense has a better secondary I can see why people like them better. But there's a lot of things that have to come together for them to even achieve a 10 win season. Even with Watson playing as well as he was they were still only 3-4. If I were a Texan fan I would be most worried about how long Watson can hold up. His style of play could always lead to season ending injuries. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get hurt once again and dash their playoff hopes.

Pittsburgh... New OC, didn't fix their defensive woes on paper, and they are magnets to the drama & distractions. I think people are simply tired of this team. Very understandable. All that star power and nothing to show for it. It's an exhausting theme for Mike Tomlin and the world knows it. They stumble out the gate every year, people question their mentality & preparedness, and then suddenly they're in the playoffs just to lose in heartbreaking fashion. How many years have we seen that now? 4 years running or so? Who knows if the recent coaching changes will be enough to get this team to the next level. We can only hope, but its going to take a collective effort from many people playing above what they did last season to get this team to the Super Bowl.

Great post...especially the PIT take.

JAX...I'm not sure they are the new Seattle yet, but they have a good DEF that had a breakout season. I need to see the edge guys replicate '17...Campbell has been good, last yr he was great. I saw Vic Beasley in ATL go for 15 sacks and followed it up with 6 or thereabouts...We'll find out a lot more about Ngakoue this season....couple that with a harder schedule and expectations...gotta respect this team, but if PIT has improved their run DEF, I'm not that concerned about JAX, if they haven't, I am.

HOU...more hype than substance as a SB contender imo. It will be nice to see them with Watson all season...with Watt & Clowney on the edge and a solid backend, another team to respect but I don't think they're better than PIT as built.

PIT...spot on. for the most part Tomlin has four issues...backend def, ILB, 3rd down pressure, solving BB...As insiders we've known Mitchell and the secondary for quite some time...have they done enough? Shazier replacement? Clearly they are looking at Bostic as part of the answer and it appears they're launching a 3 safety pkg.

On OFC...imo, they are built to win a SB right now. Ben has no excuses imo. He's got a very good OL, 3 studs in AB, Bell and Juju, plus some other solid pcs...Randy's charge imo, is how to better use the fringe pcs.

On DEF...I touched on it, but obviously we need to see better play from several players...imo starting with Haden...needs to be available all season. Burns and Davis need to step up and play like vets...somebody has to surface as FS. We'll have to see how this sub pkg for Edmunds fits. I'm okay with QB pressure in general, but they still need to figure 3rd down better. I think with Sutton, Burnett, the backend got more athletic...now we just need to see it on the field.

NE...we shall see.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post...especially the PIT take.

JAX...I'm not sure they are the new Seattle yet, but they have a good DEF that had a breakout season. I need to see the edge guys replicate '17...Campbell has been good, last yr he was great. I saw Vic Beasley in ATL go for 15 sacks and followed it up with 6 or thereabouts...We'll find out a lot more about Ngakoue this season....couple that with a harder schedule and expectations...gotta respect this team, but if PIT has improved their run DEF, I'm not that concerned about JAX, if they haven't, I am.

HOU...more hype than substance as a SB contender imo. It will be nice to see them with Watson all season...with Watt & Clowney on the edge and a solid backend, another team to respect but I don't think they're better than PIT as built.

PIT...spot on. for the most part Tomlin has four issues...backend def, ILB, 3rd down pressure, solving BB...As insiders we've known Mitchell and the secondary for quite some time...have they done enough? Shazier replacement? Clearly they are looking at Bostic as part of the answer and it appears they're launching a 3 safety pkg.

On OFC...imo, they are built to win a SB right now. Ben has no excuses imo. He's got a very good OL, 3 studs in AB, Bell and Juju, plus some other solid pcs...Randy's charge imo, is how to better use the fringe pcs.

On DEF...I touched on it, but obviously we need to see better play from several players...imo starting with Haden...needs to be available all season. Burns and Davis need to step up and play like vets...somebody has to surface as FS. We'll have to see how this sub pkg for Edmunds fits. I'm okay with QB pressure in general, but they still need to figure 3rd down better. I think with Sutton, Burnett, the backend got more athletic...now we just need to see it on the field.

NE...we shall see.
Agreed on all points.

PIT... I'd add (as one of the problems) the run defense to that list. I guess the ILB problem is directly related, but even when Shazier was playing their run defense was still garbage, or at best inconsistent. We seem to run into the "tackling" issue every year. Too many players trying to lay the big hit instead of using fundamentals and it results in lots of missed tackles.

DEF... According to PFF, Haden was having the best year of his career until the injury. So I agree, his health is going to play a huge factor to the secondary this year. IIRC Burns was statistically solid, but we know that doesn't tell the whole story. I agree that both he & Davis need to step up this year. The 3-safety package is enticing, but it worries me that A) they are going to continue using zone defense, and B) RBs & elite QBs are going to feast on that package. As we've seen before, the zone defense can get them to the playoffs, but its going to bite them in the ass. I think Edmunds & Allen have good size to support the 3-safety package, but it doesn't stop me from worrying about one of them trying to tackle someone like Leonard Fournette or Kareem Hunt when they get to the 2nd level.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get all the Houston love. I'm a huge fan of Watson, but am not convinced he is passed the 'growing pains' phase of his career. DCs will have some tape on him and they'll take some things away. Coaches are too smart to not adjust. He'll have to evolve as well and that might take more than one season. And I'm not convinced JJ Watt is going to play an entire season for the rest of his career. I also don't think Bill O'Brien is better than average as a coach.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on all points.

PIT... I'd add (as one of the problems) the run defense to that list. I guess the ILB problem is directly related, but even when Shazier was playing their run defense was still garbage, or at best inconsistent. We seem to run into the "tackling" issue every year. Too many players trying to lay the big hit instead of using fundamentals and it results in lots of missed tackles.

DEF... According to PFF, Haden was having the best year of his career until the injury. So I agree, his health is going to play a huge factor to the secondary this year. IIRC Burns was statistically solid, but we know that doesn't tell the whole story. I agree that both he & Davis need to step up this year. The 3-safety package is enticing, but it worries me that A) they are going to continue using zone defense, and B) RBs & elite QBs are going to feast on that package. As we've seen before, the zone defense can get them to the playoffs, but its going to bite them in the ass. I think Edmunds & Allen have good size to support the 3-safety package, but it doesn't stop me from worrying about one of them trying to tackle someone like Leonard Fournette or Kareem Hunt when they get to the 2nd level.

Tackling...this will be an interesting year league wide. The league will now supposedly be calling any tackle leading with the head a flag. IDK if it will hurt the Steelers or help, but I'm sure they will see this new initiative on tackling when camp starts.

Run DEF...it's easy to point to the loss of Shazier as the problem, but you're right, they sucked before he got hurt as well. It was his range and play making ability they sorely missed. I'm going to take a wait and see approach on that end.

Scheme...we know they have the athletes to play man and or zone now. Their zone works against most teams, and I don't see Butler going away from it, but the problem is it doesn't work against NE. If they line up vs NE playing zone and get beat, (especially in the playoffs) I seriously think they have to get rid of Tomlin and Butler because that would be the equivalent of insanity....do the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinkin both are bound to make the 53, but if push comes to shove then its a head 2 head battle between these 2.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinkin both are bound to make the 53, but if push comes to shove then its a head 2 head battle between these 2.

Not sure if Rogers will have enough time to make a staying type impact....good possibility both vets make it like you said.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if Rogers will have enough time to make a staying type impact....good possibility both vets make it like you said.
Yea time is certainly against Rogers. ACL tears take up to 1 full year to completely heal. They can resume running in about half that time. Rogers is ahead of schedule but he has to be careful. This is a ligament, not a muscle. Therefore there is no amount of PT that can heal it faster. He can only strengthen the muscles around the ligament. If he pushes himself into camp this season then he’s risking further injury to his ACL. Some players have gotten away with it in the past but it’s still risky!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1