• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NHL Draft

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bright side of the team’s struggles, the draft is a good one. I read the other day someone comparing it to the 03 draft which was one of the best in nhl history. Dahlin, ‘best Swedish defenseman since Lidstrom’ and Svechnikov, ‘Malkin-like’ lead the way. But lots of talent throughout the first round according to what I’ve read.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Svechnikov, Zadina, and Wahlstrom look like really solid forward pieces.

Don’t think you can pass on Dahlin if he’s there though. Hopefully they’re not in the #1 pick conversation though. But the way things are going, who knows.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AWAZ starting the thread before I could...I tip my hat sir.

The Flyers will be in a good position going into this draft if their pick stays in the top 12. The Blues pick is going to be 22-30, but in this draft that could still be a legit NHL player. This draft is deep enough that the extra 2's and 3's can make a big difference in the second or third year after the draft.

I have to start paying more attention to the major juniors.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...I just re-read my post...now it is more likely that the Blues' pick (barring lottery miracle) will be 10 - 12 and then the Flyers pick.

As I said before, this is a subtle, deep draft. There are a lot of players who if developed properly and in the correct situation could be very good long term NHL players. There may not be the HUGE names...but, a lot of very solid players.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...I just re-read my post...now it is more likely that the Blues' pick (barring lottery miracle) will be 10 - 12 and then the Flyers pick.

As I said before, this is a subtle, deep draft. There are a lot of players who if developed properly and in the correct situation could be very good long term NHL players. There may not be the HUGE names...but, a lot of very solid players.

I believe the Blues' pick is 14th overall as of right now. The draft lottery could change that, of course, but as long as it is not top ten, we keep it this year.

If it ends up being top five, I'm sure they will defer and we get an extra 3rd round pick. However, if it's 10th, then they have perhaps a difficult decision to make.

Either way, that's looking like a really nice pick for us right now.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Blues can only get pick 1, 2, 3, 14 or 15. They have a .05 chance to move up to the top 3 (not impossible as we moved to # 2 last year). It is most likely we pick at 14 and 19.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First round of 2018 NHL Draft could be full of defenceman

Jeff Marek goes over some defenceman besides Rasmus Dahlin who could go in the first round of the 2018 NHL Entry Draft.

MAREK_JEFF-115x115.png
Jeff Marek@jeffmarekMarch 7, 2018, 11:36 AM
As we get to the end of various hockey seasons things have come into a sharper focus from a scouting POV. And with some high-end players playing in the Five Nations tournament in Plymouth since we last ranked prospects we have more peer-on-peer performances and data to draw from.

One thing that hasn’t changed at all is our top position where Rasmus Dahlin will go wire-to-wire as the top-ranked prospect and will make whichever team that wins the lottery feel a whole lot better about the miserable season that got them there.

The Next Ones
Join Jeff Marek and Sam Cosentino for all the CHL and NHL prospect talk you can handle.
Subscribe

| Marek on Twitter
Next_Ones_1280x720-640x360.jpg

1. Rasmus Dahlin, D, 6-foot-2, 181 pounds (Frolunda, SHL): Erik Karlsson, Victor Hedman and now Dahlin. Are you ready for the next franchise-changing defenceman from Sweden?

2. Filip Zadina, RW, 6-foot-1, 196 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL): The Mooseheads’ import factory strikes again and sends a high-end sniper to the top of the NHL draft.

3. Andrei Svechnikov, RW, 6-foot-2, 186 pounds (Barrie Colts, OHL): Led all scorers at the Five Nations tournament and has put up points at a torrid pace with the Barrie Colts since the world juniors (38 in 22 games).

4. Brady Tkachuk, LW, 6-foot-3, 196 pounds (Boston University, NCAA): Better than older brother Matthew?

5. Adam Boqvist, D, 5-foot-11, 170 pounds (Almtuna IS, Allsvenskan): A fantastic skater and playmaker who isn’t afraid to shoot. If you don’t end up with Dahlin, getting Boqvist is more than just a consolation prize.

6. Noah Dobson, D, 6-foot-3, 180 pounds (Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL): The secret is out, this righthand shot blueliner is legit.

7. Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, 6-foot-1, 205 pounds (USNTDP): Eight points at the Five Nations (tied with tourney leader Svechnikov) and a solid spot on the U.S U18 top line, Wahlstrom continues to produce big in his draft year.

8. Evan Bouchard, D, 6-foot-2, 193 pounds (London Knights, OHL): Despite his Knights trading away most of their vets, Bouchard has continued to excel in all areas. February’s defenceman of the month in the OHL is also a natural leader.

9. Quinn Hughes, D, 5-foot-10, 174 pounds (U of Michigan, NCAA): One of the most creative players in the draft. An outstanding skater who can create even in the most challenging situations.

10. Isac Lundestrom, C, 6-foot, 185 pounds (Lulea, SHL): As one scout told me “he’s the Swedish Patrice Bergeron.” A lofty compliment, but the comparisons are there.

11. Barrett Hayton, C, 6-foot-1, 191 pounds (Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, OHL): Extremely focussed and hard-working, Hayton is the “all-in” guy every team loves to have. Nursing a small injury and the ‘Hounds are being careful with him.

12. Joel Farabee, LW, 6-feet, 164 pounds (USNTDP): Hard-working, skilled playmaker who is magical with the puck on his stick.

13. Bode Wilde, D, 6-foot-3, 195 pounds (USNTDP): Offensive defenceman who plays physical. Leads all USNTDP blueliners with 32 points. Hard wrist and slap shot from the point.

14. Joe Veleno, C, 6-foot-1, 195 pounds (Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL): Has excelled since the trade from Saint John to Drummondville where he’s being coached by the excellent Dominique Ducharme.

15. Grigori Denisenko, LW, 5-foot-11, 176 pounds (Yaroslavl Jr.): Great passer who also boasts a good shot. Played on the top line with Andrei Svechnikov and Alexander Khovanov for Russia at the Five Nations tourney.

16. Ty Smith, D, 5-foot-11, 176 pounds (Spokane Chiefs, WHL): Speed and smarts, those are the calling cards of the first overall pick in the 2015 WHL draft.

17. Rasmus Kupari, C, 6-foot-1, 183 pounds (Hermes, Mestis Finland): Not the biggest guy on the ice by any stretch, but can create and finish. And does it all with great bursts of speed.

18. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C, 6-foot-2, 190 pounds (Assat, Finnish Liiga): Physically he has everything you want – skill, speed, size and he keeps improving.

19. Jet Woo, D, 5-foot-11, 205 pounds (Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL): Has more than a bit of ‘old school’ in his game and isn’t afraid to throw the body around.

20. Rasmus Sandin, D, 5-foot-11, 190 pounds (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL): Even with the Conor Timmins (COL) injury the ‘Hounds have not skipped a beat on the blue line mainly due to Sandin’s work. Plays tough minutes in all situations.

21. Jared McIsaac, D, 6-foot-1, 195 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL): Good skater with offensive instincts and has just enough bite in his game to keep players honest.

22. Serron Noel, RW, 6-foot-5, 201 pounds (Oshawa Generals, OHL): Skilled yet raw power forward who keeps getting better and better.

23. Ryan McLeod, C, 6-foot-2, 200 pounds (Mississauga Steelheads, OHL): A slippery and skilled centre, McLeod has high-end vision. As one OHL GM told me “where his brother Michael (NJ) smashes down the front door to score, Ryan sneaks in through the side.”

24. Alexander Khovanov, C, 5-foot-11, 179 pounds (Moncton Wildcats, QMJHL): Great puck distributor with excellent vision.

25. Jacob Olofsson, C, 6-foot-1, 192 pounds (Timra, Allsvenskan): A reliable two-way centre who almost made the Swedish WJC team. Plays a lot with Canucks prospect Jonathan Dahlen.

26. Ryan Merkley, D, 5-foot-11, 170 pounds (Guelph Storm, OHL): Has top 5 skill without a doubt and can complete plays other blueliners only dream about, but other areas of his game have scouts concerned.

27. Benoit Olivier-Groulx, C, 6-foot-1, 192 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL): No surprise he’s a coach’s dream as a player since his father Benoit is one of the best CHL bench bosses of this generation.

28. Dominik Bokk, LW, 6-foot-1, 180 pounds (Vaxjo, SHL): Another great hockey story for Germany in 2018.

29. Akil Thomas, C, 5-foot-11, 170 pounds (Niagara IceDogs, OHL): Huge ceiling here that Thomas is only now starting to scratch.

30. K’Andre Miller, D, 6-foot-3, 206 pounds (USNTDP): Was outstanding and probably the top U.S defenceman at the U18 Five Nations. Great skating blueliner who isn’t shy about joining the rush.

31. Mattias Samuelsson, D, 6-foot-4, 217 pounds (USNTDP): Big, strong, and safe

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the names I have seen going to the Flyers in early mocks (and assuming we have 2 1st round picks.
13. Bode Wilde, D, 6-foot-3, 195 pounds (USNTDP): Offensive defenceman who plays physical. Leads all USNTDP blueliners with 32 points. Hard wrist and slap shot from the point.
8. Evan Bouchard, D, 6-foot-2, 193 pounds (London Knights, OHL): Despite his Knights trading away most of their vets, Bouchard has continued to excel in all areas. February’s defenceman of the month in the OHL is also a natural leader.
10. Isac Lundestrom, C, 6-foot, 185 pounds (Lulea, SHL): As one scout told me “he’s the Swedish Patrice Bergeron.” A lofty compliment, but the comparisons are there.
22. Serron Noel, RW, 6-foot-5, 201 pounds (Oshawa Generals, OHL): Skilled yet raw power forward who keeps getting better and better.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Noah Dobson, saw him play twice on TV. Very smooth, very polished...I doubt he will be there when we pick.
Both Bode Wilde and Evan Bouchard would be nice additions. I think if he is there, Benoit Olivier-Groulx would be a decent addition to the organization...and then there is Mattias Samuelsson.

Like I said...this draft presents options.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Lots of options for the Flyers here with #14 and #19. Obviously you go best available, but I wouldn't hate a couple d-men to start the '2nd wave' of prospects. Right now they've got a bunch of young dmen in the NHL or on the cusp, with a pretty nice selection of forwards getting close. Time to start grooming the next group of dmen so 3-4 years down the road you've got them coming in as the 1st wave starts getting expensive.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dobson, Woo, Wilde kind of lead my list in the Flyers range. K'Andre Miller seems like an interesting pick too. Converted forward on the back end. Akil Thomas could be an interest pick up front.

Lots of RHD in this draft.

Last edited:

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hart and our 2 first rounders for Carey price

yay or nay?

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hart and our 2 first rounders for Carey price

yay or nay?
no way...given Price's age and contract that is not a move to make at this time. They are more than a goalie away from a cup and 10.5/year for a goalie is outrageous

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way...given Price's age and contract that is not a move to make at this time. They are more than a goalie away from a cup and 10.5/year for a goalie is outrageous

Exactly. Even if he makes us much better now, we're paying him $10.5 million per season until he is almost 39. We would eventually regret having that contract on our books, if not already. The trade goes against everything we've been working to build over the last three years anyway.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell the F.. no to Price and that deal. Give me Hart and pay Tavares and add depth to another position needed. Way too much for Price and I like Price a ton, but not that much., lol.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Carter Hart?!? That was a Bobby Clarke post if I ever read one.

No, I could see packaging the picks to move up, or, I could see a player move that nets a pick and allows them to make yet another move with one of their picks.

Basically...I love the period from now up until 7/1. Trades, Prospects, draft, free agents...all sandwiched between playoff hockey which is the best sporting spectacle on earth.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers officially have 14th and 19th this season after the lottery over the weekend.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How deep is this draft and quality wise vs years past?

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what do we know about Hextall's tendencies in 1st round drafting?

1) He prefers to target players and move up or down as appropriate to get his guy
2) You'll have no idea what-so-ever exactly who he's targeting
3) It will almost assuredly be a center or defenseman