• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NFL Draft

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Etling
  • Born Jul 22, 1994 (Age: 23)
  • College LSU
Etling initially went to Purdue. He started as a Soph. and the Boilermakers went 2-3 in the first five games and he was benched. He got pissed off and transferred to LSU and played for Cam Cameron.

2016 He started and threw for 59.5% 2123 yds with 11 TDs and 5 INTs.

2017 Etling improved was 146/242 60.3%. He threw for 2234 yds with 14 TDs and only 2 INTs.

He's been working out with Brady's throwing coaches in California, including Tom House.

The big question is........Is Etling Tom Brady's successor? Who ever heard of Jimmy Garrappolo before the Patriots drafted him in 2014? Etling has played with the big kids at Purdue and LSU. Wasn't on anyone's list of top ten QB's. Then again, who was the last pick of the 6th round, #199 in 2000? He wasn't on anyone's top 25.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't draft anybody to replace Jordan Richards?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved the first 2 picks. Like the QB too. The rest Meh. Sam should be a decent rotation guy. Wait and see I guess.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved the first 2 picks. Like the QB too. The rest Meh. Sam should be a decent rotation guy. Wait and see I guess.
I like the first three and the rest are double Mehhhh

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did they need to take Michel that high though? Let's hope he can remain healthy and produce like I know he can

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did not need another RB, nor did we need another 1st rounder with bum knees.

Sometimes a twofer is a great thing....
Sometimes not.

Hopefully this guy turns into Curtis Martin, but doesn't go to the Jets.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter what we think. What matters is what these newbies can do and if they can play at the NFL level. If they can, then we win, if not, we win without them.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did need a RB to replace D. Lewis. Sorry, but the RB’s we have on our roster are not great. Burkhead....Gillislee... Hill.....Bolden....White(only good one we have and he isn’t really all that great). Sony could/should be a fantastic RB. The kind we haven’t had here in a long time.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picks: G Isaiah Wynn (1); RB Sony Michel (1); CB Duke Dawson (2); LB Ja’Whaun Bentley (5); LB Christian Sam (6); WR Braxton Berrios (6); QB Danny Etling (7); DB Keion Crossen (7); TE Ryan Izzo (7).
Analysis: The Patriots kept making trades, pushing some of the picks to next year. That’s generally smart. The picks they did make weren’t slam dunks. Assuming Isaiah Wynn can play left tackle (he doesn’t have ideal height and many thought he’d be an NFL guard), that should be a good pick. The first-round selection of running back Sony Michel, ignoring some defensive needs there, was curious. The Patriots might be the best team in the league at identifying cheap running back talent and it seemed strange they’d invest a first-round pick in one. Cornerback Duke Dawson isn’t considered a can’t-miss NFL starter, but the Patriots needed cornerback depth. And the Patriots previously traded picks for veterans like Danny Shelton and offensive tackle Trent Brown, which helps. Bill Belichick’s moves could pay off down the line, but it’s hard to get excited now.
Grade: C

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A serious question......

Why does an offensive tackle have to be tall(as in 6ft 5” +)? Wynn is considered short at 6ft 3” and it’s a negative for him. It seems that if the player has long arms... good leverage...good balance and a strong punch, what’s the problem with not being a giant?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A serious question......

Why does an offensive tackle have to be tall(as in 6ft 5” +)? Wynn is considered short at 6ft 3” and it’s a negative for him. It seems that if the player has long arms... good leverage...good balance and a strong punch, what’s the problem with not being a giant?
His wing span does help him here, normally taller guys have loner arms which aid them

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a personal note I work with one of the drafted players mom and my wife is knows the family of another well we both know the family.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So an analysis of the draft.

Offense: B I like the Wynn and Michel signings. Wynn is versatile and can play both OG and T and the Pats love versatile players, he's a big fella and a mauler like this signing. Great pick.

Michel: This is an A pick for me, I personally like him more than Barkley I think a lot of people are over hyping the injury to downplay the pick. He played and played successfully in the toughest conference in college football for four years, kid is a baller and I feel he is going to win over some hearts here.

I don't know much about Berrios but a lot of pundits are saying he is a perfect Patriots player I will defer to them

Izzo living here in Florida I have seen a lot of his play and he's a contributor a lunch bucket type player. He will give every thing he has to give on every single play you will never see him take a play off and he is a solid blocker.

Etling QB: While we certainly could have done better earlier I just don't understand the train of thought as it relates to this position. D

Defense: C-

Duke Dawson this kid has a nose for the ball an plays fearless football he's smart on the field and I really think he is a great pick. A+ pick.

I know nothing about Bentley or Sam but this was a positing of need so I am pleased, I guess. I also know nothing about Crossen so I guess in the end I feel kinda Meeeh about these picks . D

The Trades: Well we sure made a lot of them, I can't help but think the Pats have their collective eyes on one or two players in the 2019 draft. I like they way the positioned themselves for next year. B+

I think the pick ups of Shelton, Clayborn, the returns of Hightower and Rivers and Valentine lessened the need for DE we will see.

All in all a solid C. B- in you consider what the attained next year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A serious question......

One of the biggest things you need in a tackle is the ability to make a player take the long way to the QB. Shorter Tackles can struggle because they don't have the length to make up if they take a wrong step. They can also get pushed back with players getting their hands into the chest of the OT. I love Wynn probably more than most but that was with the thought of him moving to guard rather than staying at tackle.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the biggest things you need in a tackle is the ability to make a player take the long way to the QB. Shorter Tackles can struggle because they don't have the length to make up if they take a wrong step. They can also get pushed back with players getting their hands into the chest of the OT. I love Wynn probably more than most but that was with the thought of him moving to guard rather than staying at tackle.

Look no one knows where Scar will line him up but he is 1.5" shorter than the norm with very long arms and very good footwork. Just because something is the norm does not mean something other than the norm can't work! The norm for a child is cheese pizza but then things change, the norm for WRs in the NFL were tall black guy's that has changed. The game changes I am pretty sure the kid will be okay.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look no one knows where Scar will line him up but he is 1.5" shorter than the norm with very long arms and very good footwork. Just because something is the norm does not mean something other than the norm can't work! The norm for a child is cheese pizza but then things change, the norm for WRs in the NFL were tall black guy's that has changed. The game changes I am pretty sure the kid will be okay.

I never said he can't have success as a tackle. I just said I saw him moving inside and being a very successful OG in the NFL.