• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NBA offseason

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rapid fire thoughts on an active midnight NBA in a random July night after much of FA has died down:

-Nets with some series cap clearing moves tonight and picked up another pick as well. With them having 2 1st rounders next season and a shit ton of cap space, they're in good shape. Something crazy like half the league will be free agents next summer (not just the top stars) so they have positioned themselves very well to improve.

-Not sure what Atlanta gains by keeping Lin with Young and Schroder (who I assume they are still trying to move). Not like those pick swaps have much value either.

-I don't get the IT to the Nuggets move. There's a log jam there with Murray, Harris, and Barton. Beasley and Morris are interesting potential rotation guards as well. It's a weird fit and that's not even taking into consideration the defensive side of the ball. Maybe they're going for those way back Denver days of scoring 130 every night with no D whatsoever. Since he signed for the vet min, I'm curious why IT chose Denver over other teams. Were there really no other teams willing to take a chance on him at the min?

-IT on the vet min is yet another example of what a huge mistake Michelle Roberts and NBPA made by not accepting cap smoothing back in 2016. He's another in a long line of players this offseason that have taken 1 year, low money deals. This is a direct result of the cap spike of 2016 causing so many teams having their books clogged up on bad contracts. There just aren't many teams with space to give guys more money so they're better off taking a gamble on a short deal hoping they can make it up later when the cap space frees up again in 2019 and 2020. The 2016 benefited greatly but everyone else got screwed.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually love the Thomas to Denver signing.

Outside of Harris and Milsap, they won't play a drop of defense.

But, Damn they are going to be high scoring and hella fun to watch.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the IT move for Denver. Low risk/High reward
Dudes who lost a ton of money this off-season.....

Midget Isiah, Boogie, Noel.....

Dudes who lost a ton of money, but will gain some jewelry...

Boogie.

#ColdWorld

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dudes who lost a ton of money this off-season.....

Midget Isiah, Boogie, Noel.....

Dudes who lost a ton of money, but will gain some jewelry...

Boogie.

#ColdWorld

they backed up the brinks truck but the load had already been hijacked

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing personal but the best team in the East loaded with young players and assets doesn't "need" a top 5 pick. It'll help them yeah but they're doing just fine without it.

If you want Anthony Davis you need these type of assets. And Danny he has them

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually love the Thomas to Denver signing.

Outside of Harris and Milsap, they won't play a drop of defense.

But, Damn they are going to be high scoring and hella fun to watch.
I agree, both sides benefit...
  • IT can rehabilitate his career and focus on what he does best (offense) on one of the best offenses in the league.
  • Denver can enhance a fun, high scoring image for their fans... not the worst idea in the world if you are a small market and NBA championships seem like an impossible dream.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thomas wants a max contract and he expects to receive one when his contract expires next summer.

At a recent basketball clinic, Thomas reiterated his worth to the Celtics and considers himself on par with the best in the world.

"Very confident," he said Saturday during his annual basketball clinic at BU, where he hosted more than 400 campers. "I deserve it. I put the work in, and you can put me down against any guard in the NBA. ... My numbers are up there with the best players in the world, and my team is winning. So, I mean, you have to reward that."

#wrong

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO!

giphy.gif

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas wants a max contract and he expects to receive one when his contract expires next summer.

At a recent basketball clinic, Thomas reiterated his worth to the Celtics and considers himself on par with the best in the world.

"Very confident," he said Saturday during his annual basketball clinic at BU, where he hosted more than 400 campers. "I deserve it. I put the work in, and you can put me down against any guard in the NBA. ... My numbers are up there with the best players in the world, and my team is winning. So, I mean, you have to reward that."

#wrong

To be fair, his comments came before the Celtics ruined him.

I don't know if he was going to get the max but he would have surely got at least a Zach Lavine type deal had they not ruined him in the 2017 playoffs.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad deal at all. Glad we got him back.

Same here but there are way too many SG on this roster and we may be adding another one assuming Wade wants to play another season.

Something tells me Rodney McGruder won't be on the roster

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are only 12 players under contract for Miami. If they bring back Wade and Haslem then that makes it 14 with room for 1 more player

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here but there are way too many SG on this roster and we may be adding another one assuming Wade wants to play another season.

Something tells me Rodney McGruder won't be on the roster

Could see a trade happening. Or rather, I hope to see a trade happening.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep telling everyone on here. Brooklyn is going yo sign 2 of those available free agents next summer.

If I'm a FA, I'm actually going to the Nets among the two. The Nets were miserable for the last few years because the Pierce/KG trade blew up in their faces and Billy King set them back for years. But by all accounts, the Nets' owner is one that's really aggressive and wants to win immediately. As an NBA player, I wouldn't want any part of Dolan.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, his comments came before the Celtics ruined him.

I don't know if he was going to get the max but he would have surely got at least a Zach Lavine type deal had they not ruined him in the 2017 playoffs.

In a world where Victor Oladipo’s similar deal went from hilarious overpay to possibly a bargain over the course of one All-NBA season, it’s worth holding out some hope that LaVine will someday be worth this deal. In the absence of any single shred of evidence pointing to that eventuality, it’s fair to say, for now, that pushing to add $20 million a year of Zach LaVine to a lottery team is an extremely good way of remaining a lottery team over the duration of that contract.

Before an ACL injury cut short his 2016-2017 season, LaVine was putting together another shriekingly awful defensive year for the Minnesota Timberwolves. According to ESPN’s Real Plus-Minus, LaVine ranked 441st out of 468 qualified NBA players in defensive impact, behind such defensive stalwarts as James Harden, Nik Stauskas, and Marco Belinelli, and in the range of Derrick Rose and the dreaded Devin Booker. LaVine played too few games last season to qualify—he was, after all, still recovering from that knee injury—but you should know that his dismal minus-2.35 DRPM in 2016-2017 was more than a full point better than what he’d produced the prior season, which was nearly a full point better than what he’d produced the season before. In no season of his career has he finished higher than the bottom 27 players in the NBA in this defensive metric.

Lest you suspect that DRPM has been cherry-picked, here, Basketball Reference says LaVine has never finished any season with a defensive box plus-minus better than minus-2.0. For point of reference, James Harden has never finished with a defensive box plus-minus lower than minus-0.6. The NBA’s stats service says LaVine has never finished a season with better than 0.021 defensive win shares; James Harden, by way of comparison, has never finished a season lower than .033 since joining the Houston Rockets. Zach LaVine is a horrible, worthless defensive player, and both DBPM and DWS say LaVine’s quarter-season in Chicago featured more of the same.

Its fucking insane teams will pay LaVine that and Beasley stays unsigned.