• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 (MLB) News & Transactions

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
George Kontos got dfa'd by the Yankees two days ago, after throwing 1 and 2/3rds of inning of no run, 1 hit ball (with 2 Ks). This is the 2nd time that's happened to him this season. The Indians did the same after he threw 6 games with a 0.94 WHIP. The Pirates also let him go, but his numbers weren't very good with them.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting if we get anything back on him or if the team just lets him go like they did last year with Kontos, simply to get the money off the books.
I think he's probably gone, but it'd be interesting if they extended the QO if he stays.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting if we get anything back on him or if the team just lets him go like they did last year with Kontos, simply to get the money off the books.

I think he's probably gone, but it'd be interesting if they extended the QO if he stays.

He touched on both of these in follow-up tweets.

Said that simply getting the salary relief and the subsequent call-ups in September could make it worth while enough (my follow-up is who, besides Shaw if he's healthy, is warranting one? Anderson? He probably should be shutdown though).

They still do have enough leverage, apparently, to have teams balk at claiming him because of a Kontos situation, so they may be able to get some kind of prospect in return.

He did say the $4-$5m raise might be enough risk for the Giants to not want to bring him back. If they truly aren't that concerned with the money next year, though, I don't think that risk would be that bad. I wouldn't necessarily mind him coming back for one more year, he'll be approaching 2 WAR next year, which is worth around $21m if you're into that sort of thing.

The QO was worth $17.4m last year, and will probably be around that again. For 1.5-2 WAR, a good guy in the clubhouse etc. that's not too bad. He probably wants a multi-year deal anyway and I doubt he's accept it.

Personally, at this point, I'd rather them just ride out the season and risk him accepting the QO and trade Dyson for the salary relief. That is unless they get a really good offer for Cutch, of course.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Said that simply getting the salary relief and the subsequent call-ups in September could make it worth while enough (my follow-up is who, besides Shaw if he's healthy, is warranting one? Anderson? He probably should be shutdown though).

They still do have enough leverage, apparently, to have teams balk at claiming him because of a Kontos situation, so they may be able to get some kind of prospect in return.

He did say the $4-$5m raise might be enough risk for the Giants to not want to bring him back. If they truly aren't that concerned with the money next year, though, I don't think that risk would be that bad. I wouldn't necessarily mind him coming back for one more year, he'll be approaching 2 WAR next year, which is worth around $21m if you're into that sort of thing.

The QO was worth $17.4m last year, and will probably be around that again. For 1.5-2 WAR, a good guy in the clubhouse etc. that's not too bad. He probably wants a multi-year deal anyway and I doubt he's accept it.

Personally, at this point, I'd rather them just ride out the season and risk him accepting the QO and trade Dyson for the salary relief. That is unless they get a really good offer for Cutch, of course.

I agree on all points. Also, I think Shaw is hurt, no? I heard rumblings of "done for the year."

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

**ahem** Tyler Rogers.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the recent news, maybe some journeyman like Jeff Arnold or something
Do you think the Giants may just bring up Aramis Garcia since he's at AAA now. His numbers there aren't good but neither are Ronnie Freeman or Trevor Brown's. I say call up Myles Schroder. He's the ultimate utility player and can catch too. Make for another 2007 pick making the big leagues too.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutch may have started his last game as a Giant. Apparently he is being held out of the lineup tonight.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An interesting perspective on the Giants minor league system from a Mets writer:

"San Francisco finds these guys by essentially approaching the minor-league free-agent market — the most competitive one there is, since all 30 teams can financially compete for each player — like the draft. In the middle of the season, the Giants — headed by assistant general manager Jeremy Shelley — create a priority list that is then heavily scouted in August. That allows them to build what amounts to their draft board. Their selling points are opportunity and track record: If you play well in the minors, you’ll get a shot, as they’ve shown over time.

This is how a team builds depth."

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An interesting perspective on the Giants minor league system from a Mets writer:

"San Francisco finds these guys by essentially approaching the minor-league free-agent market — the most competitive one there is, since all 30 teams can financially compete for each player — like the draft. In the middle of the season, the Giants — headed by assistant general manager Jeremy Shelley — create a priority list that is then heavily scouted in August. That allows them to build what amounts to their draft board. Their selling points are opportunity and track record: If you play well in the minors, you’ll get a shot, as they’ve shown over time.

This is how a team builds depth."
You gotta think the Giants approach will get attention after this year. Rodriguez, Hanson and d’Arnaud is a pretty good haul.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think the Giants may just bring up Aramis Garcia since he's at AAA now. His numbers there aren't good but neither are Ronnie Freeman or Trevor Brown's. I say call up Myles Schroder. He's the ultimate utility player and can catch too. Make for another 2007 pick making the big leagues too.

Garcia will definitely be up (frankly no reason not to), but if the team feels inclined to carry a 3rd catcher then I see Arnold being the guy, just as a reward for his service.

Schroder could be a possibility as well, I guess, but he hasn't played catcher yet this year (literally the only position he hasn't yet).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gotta think the Giants approach will get attention after this year. Rodriguez, Hanson and d’Arnaud is a pretty good haul.

I dunno; they've been doing it for years and nobody else seems to be catching on.

Vogelsong, Casilla, Blanco, Torres, Ishi, Goner, Holland, DRod, Hanson, D'Arnaud...

This year was a bumper crop, but they've been doing it for a while now.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutch has cleared waivers and can be traded to anyone now. Wouldn't be surprised if that's very soon.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona Fall League rosters are starting to trickle through. So far it looks like the Giants are sending a pretty good group.

They've slated:

Melvin Adon, RHP
Aramis Garcia, C
C.J Hinojosa, IF
Chase Johnson, RHP
Heath Quinn, OF
Garrett Williams, LHP
Sam Wolff, RHP

Might add or subtract more later. They'll be playing on the Scottsdale Scorpions. The Scorpions should have a pretty loaded group. Forrest Whitley, Sixto Sanchez, Taylor Trammell and Peter Alonso, four of the best in the game are also going to be on the team, among others. I might finally take Stokes' advice and head down for a week

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Cutch was just traded to the Yankees. Two prospects headed to the Giants

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Cutch was just traded to the Yankees. Two prospects headed to the Giants

Good luck to him. I am glad to see him traded, but that isn’t because I didn’t like him.

I would be AOK if the Giants targeted him as a FA acquisition in the offseason, but I doubt he wants to come back.