• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 is a Defining Year for the Steelers

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 was brutal to watch. Loss to the Bears in OT, demolished by the Jaguars, 8 wins by less than 1 TD, we struggled to put away non-playoff teams like the Colts, Bengals, Browns and Lions yet were able to blowout a Vikings team that went to the NFC title game. Le'Veon Bell, Martavis Bryant and Antonio Brown all had their hissy fits publicly. The tension between Ben and Haley. The offense never really got started until the Thursday night game against the Titans. The release of James Harrison was ridiculous and the way the players reacted to it was a complete distraction.

For me, 2018 is a defining year for the Steelers. This team needs to be the Steelers team of old. We went 13-3 last year and lasted 2 hours in the Playoffs. We need to draft better, we need to get a hold of our players better. There's no reason for the outbursts by Bryant and Brown this year. It's embarrassing and it is definitely a distraction whether the team wants to admit it or not. The players were already talking about playing and beating the Patriots before we even beat the Jaguars!!!

This all has to stop and it needs to be stopped right now. Someone needs to get in that locker room and say "Wake the fuck up!". The offseason moves that need to be made, NEED TO BE MADE. We need an answer as to how long Ben is gonna play. We need an answer to whether we are gonna have Le'Veon Bell next year or not. We need an answer, or at least a plan for life after Ben Roethlisberger. Those answers need to happen quickly and fast because if we don't answer those questions now, someone else will and we might not like those answers. I honestly hated watching the Steelers on the field at times this year and I can't continue to watch them play like that. Coach Tomlin needs to step up, the vets on the team need to step up and this whole team just needs to wake up, get their heads out of their asses and play like we know they can play. If the moves made during the offseason and draft are not moves that improve the team whatsoever, I can't continue to support this team the way it is. I can't watch the games, scream at them one week, cheer them on and say "yes, they finally are playing like the Steelers!", only to lose to the Bears in OT the next week. They play with their heads in their asses, their off the field antics and comments to the media are unnecessary and the way the front office handles releases and contract disputes is not on the level it should be. I'm not saying Super Bowl or bust, but at least act like you play for the mother fucking Pittsburgh Steelers.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Steelers don't dominate next season, I have a hard time seeing Ben wanting to play another year even if Art recently stated he wanted to play longer than 2019.

In other words, the window will be closed after this season if they fail again. Not to mention the nucleus will be on the backend of their respective careers and we will be approaching the same thing that happened in 2012-2013 seasons. Vets being held onto for too long creating a stagnant pool of talent. They have been doing well in the drafts lately so I really hope they never get themselves into that situation again.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13-3 was brutal??? Don't agree. Disappointing end, yes but brutal Nope. Winning close games is the Steelers MO going all the way back to the early 70's when they forced a rule change for winning games 12-9.

Losing close games and going 3-13, now that is brutal. Or going 0-16, THAT is brutal. Winning 1 game in 2 years, BRUTAL!!! Winning the Steeler way while tums inducing is never brutal as long as you're WINNING!!!

Last edited:

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 isn't a defining year either. The expectations are always the same win the SB. That never changes. Defining was 1972 when they finally WON a playoff game. Defining was winning their first SB and transforming from lovable losers into a Dynasty. Defining is being the only team to win back-to-back SBs, twice. Picking 5 HOF'ers in the same draft, defining.

I could go on and on but I think everyone's got the picture I'm painting.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 isn't a defining year either. The expectations are always the same win the SB. That never changes. Defining was 1972 when they finally WON a playoff game. Defining was winning their first SB and transforming from lovable losers into a Dynasty. Defining is being the only team to win back-to-back SBs, twice. Picking 5 HOF'ers in the same draft, defining.

Yea but teams are defined by decade. Bringing up stuff from close to 50 years ago doesn't define them now. I understand your thought process though. They have still been to a few Superbowls over the last 10 years. And I agree, 13-3 is not a brutal year. But still, the goal being getting to the Superbowl every year has resulted in failure for 7 years now. And what hurts the most is this is arguably the most talented offense they have ever had. EVER. The failure to live up to lofty expectations is getting very old now which makes all of us want change.

I think the main concern for us (and this thread) is the window is closing on Ben. Without him, there most definitely will be dark years ahead if they don't find his replacement fast, or at least find someone serviceable to win games until that next franchise guy comes along. I get the concerns over the lockerroom, which I hope they can overcome, but I don't think it was detrimental like the media wants to paint it. 13-3 is a very successful year amidst all the media drama.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13-3 was brutal??? Don't agree. Disappointing end, yes but brutal Nope. Winning close games is the Steelers MO going all the way back to the early 70's when they forced a rule change for winning games 12-9.

Losing close games and going 3-13, now that is brutal. Or going 0-16, THAT is brutal. Winning 1 game in 2 years, BRUTAL!!! Winning the Steeler way while tums inducing is never brutal as long as you're WINNING!!!

That kind of 13-3 was SUPER BRUTAL. 8 wins by 7 points are less. Winning close games against below average teams is their MO, I get that, but a 3-point win over the Browns (TWICE!!!), Colts and a Rodgers-less Packers team. Combine that with 2 embarrassing losses to the Jaguars and Bears and an embarrassing showing at home in the playoffs and the list of fucking bullshit we've dealt with. The Bell contract situation, Brown's crybaby fit, Ben's sarcastic "Maybe I don't have it anymore" remark, Bryant's bullshit, Todd Haley's bullshit playcalling, the release of James Harrison and how the players acted afterwards and the fact that the players were talking about the rematch against the Patriots before they even beat the Jaguars. It was embarrassing. 13-3 and 2nd seed, that's a great accomplishment, but diving into that record and into the season deeper than just wins and losses, this was an embarrassing year.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me, it is. How this team bounces back from what should of been a fantastic and memorable year is important to me and how I choose to watch/listen/follow/root for them in the future. This team needs a wake up call and it needs it this offseason.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 was the year. We had everyone healthy, we had an emerging WR to compliment AB. We made some decent off season moves. Our draft was very good. But this team had various distractions and most were self caused. It was a disappointing 13-3 season and it was self-inflicted. Out secondary sucked. Our offense was subpar. Our OC had no business calling plays. Our players were rebelling against the team and when we release a guy, our players are too busy talking trash about the guy after he leaves. It was a bullshit year. 13-3. Division champs. Yay. What do we got to show for it? Absolutely nothing.

Combine our 2 hour stay in the playoffs with EVERYTHING else that happened this year, it was a brutal watch. Just like the playoff game.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 was the year. We had everyone healthy, we had an emerging WR to compliment AB. We made some decent off season moves. Our draft was very good. But this team had various distractions and most were self caused. It was a disappointing 13-3 season and it was self-inflicted. Out secondary sucked. Our offense was subpar. Our OC had no business calling plays. Our players were rebelling against the team and when we release a guy, our players are too busy talking trash about the guy after he leaves. It was a bullshit year. 13-3. Division champs. Yay. What do we got to show for it? Absolutely nothing.

Combine our 2 hour stay in the playoffs with EVERYTHING else that happened this year, it was a brutal watch. Just like the playoff game.
It was more disappointing than brutal and embarrassing. But I get it. Losing to the Jags proved to not be as much of a farce as originally thought. Jags damn near beat the Pats.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was more disappointing than brutal and embarrassing. But I get it. Losing to the Jags proved to not be as much of a farce as originally thought. Jags damn near beat the Pats.
It wasn't so much that we lost to the Jags, it was HOW we lost to them.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too little too late? Or that the defense crumbled?

Defense didn't show up either game. Our offense didn't show up the first game or the first quarter of the second game. Also, we were too distracted by talking about New England and how we can beat them in Hell, but we couldn't even beat the fucking Jaguars. Both games were a shit show. Most of the games on our schedule were a shit show, we were just lucky that Bos doesn't miss field goals.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense didn't show up either game. Our offense didn't show up the first game or the first quarter of the second game. Also, we were too distracted by talking about New England and how we can beat them in Hell, but we couldn't even beat the fucking Jaguars. Both games were a shit show. Most of the games on our schedule were a shit show, we were just lucky that Bos doesn't miss field goals.
Art the III said it best. Turnovers kill. Offense turned it over in both games. D never had a chance in the first game and was put into a 14 point hole in the second. Actually it was a 21 point hole before the Offense started doing anything.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the things you describe as brutal might be the new normal for NFL teams.... Salary caps have created parity in the league. If you look around on a given Sunday, most games are within one or two scores with about 15-20 minutes to go. The good teams are good because their talent and schemes set them up to make critical plays late. The flip side to this is that sometimes bad teams think they're close, just because they were 'in the game' a lot. I see this with the Bengals - Their team writer likes to talk about how close they were last year.... But that's not what I saw with my eyes. I saw a flawed team that couldn't compete for 4 quarters.

As for the player drama..... You can thank twitter, social media and the coddling of young athletes for a lot of that stuff. It's happening in the NFL, it's happening in the NBA and it's even starting to trickle down to college. I agree that it is brutal to have to deal with, but I'm afraid it's the new normal.

JMO.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the things you describe as brutal might be the new normal for NFL teams.... Salary caps have created parity in the league. If you look around on a given Sunday, most games are within one or two scores with about 15-20 minutes to go. The good teams are good because their talent and schemes set them up to make critical plays late. The flip side to this is that sometimes bad teams think they're close, just because they were 'in the game' a lot. I see this with the Bengals - Their team writer likes to talk about how close they were last year.... But that's not what I saw with my eyes. I saw a flawed team that couldn't compete for 4 quarters.

As for the player drama..... You can thank twitter, social media and the coddling of young athletes for a lot of that stuff. It's happening in the NFL, it's happening in the NBA and it's even starting to trickle down to college. I agree that it is brutal to have to deal with, but I'm afraid it's the new normal.

JMO.

Actually college coaches are now checking out the social media of players before ever offering them a scholarship. They have taken scholarships back after a player said something really stupid on social media. At the NFL level it is the same thing. Talent trumps everything but there is a point that a player becomes more of a headache than a team wants to take on.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually college coaches are now checking out the social media of players before ever offering them a scholarship. They have taken scholarships back after a player said something really stupid on social media. At the NFL level it is the same thing. Talent trumps everything but there is a point that a player becomes more of a headache than a team wants to take on.
Hopefully that impacts players down the road. Get it into their heads early that if you make yourself look like a dipshit on social media then you are hurting your future.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JMO.
Great post. Couldn't agree more. Putting vast amounts of money into the player's hands takes the power away from the coaches, which results in the coddling. The 'stars' have a longer (nearly invisible) leash. And what does that say to the younger guys? Doesn't really motivate them to act in a certain manner now does it? Martavis Bryant is a good example. Look at all the BS Lev Bell has put the team through with narcotics. And all the BS Antonio has put the team through with social media. Martavis Bryant looks up to those 2, and we expected him to walk the straight & narrow? lol

Monkey see, monkey do.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 was brutal to watch. Loss to the Bears in OT, demolished by the Jaguars, 8 wins by less than 1 TD, we struggled to put away non-playoff teams like the Colts, Bengals, Browns and Lions yet were able to blowout a Vikings team that went to the NFC title game. Le'Veon Bell, Martavis Bryant and Antonio Brown all had their hissy fits publicly. The tension between Ben and Haley. The offense never really got started until the Thursday night game against the Titans. The release of James Harrison was ridiculous and the way the players reacted to it was a complete distraction.

For me, 2018 is a defining year for the Steelers. This team needs to be the Steelers team of old. We went 13-3 last year and lasted 2 hours in the Playoffs. We need to draft better, we need to get a hold of our players better. There's no reason for the outbursts by Bryant and Brown this year. It's embarrassing and it is definitely a distraction whether the team wants to admit it or not. The players were already talking about playing and beating the Patriots before we even beat the Jaguars!!!

This all has to stop and it needs to be stopped right now. Someone needs to get in that locker room and say "Wake the fuck up!". The offseason moves that need to be made, NEED TO BE MADE. We need an answer as to how long Ben is gonna play. We need an answer to whether we are gonna have Le'Veon Bell next year or not. We need an answer, or at least a plan for life after Ben Roethlisberger. Those answers need to happen quickly and fast because if we don't answer those questions now, someone else will and we might not like those answers. I honestly hated watching the Steelers on the field at times this year and I can't continue to watch them play like that. Coach Tomlin needs to step up, the vets on the team need to step up and this whole team just needs to wake up, get their heads out of their asses and play like we know they can play. If the moves made during the offseason and draft are not moves that improve the team whatsoever, I can't continue to support this team the way it is. I can't watch the games, scream at them one week, cheer them on and say "yes, they finally are playing like the Steelers!", only to lose to the Bears in OT the next week. They play with their heads in their asses, their off the field antics and comments to the media are unnecessary and the way the front office handles releases and contract disputes is not on the level it should be. I'm not saying Super Bowl or bust, but at least act like you play for the mother fucking Pittsburgh Steelers.

Filtering through a lot of the fluff...2017 was a disappointing season largely because they didn't get back to the AFCCG after securing a #2 seed.

I've asked before were our expectations too high for this team...I'm pretty convinced now they were. This season they play the NFCS, AFCW, plus NE and JAX...if they hang a #2 seed with this schedule, I'm impressed.

2018...true Steeler football isn't really allowed in the league anymore and they don't have those kinds of players. But I agree the antics on the field, and off caused some distractions...Captain has already put it on blast he wants to see less of that this season and I think they will.

Answers.

Bell...that will come in due time, for what has been put out there, it's promising Bell will be a Steeler, but there are already time lines in place for that and I think we'll know Bell's status before the draft.

Ben...'19 is his last season. I think we're going to know his status for '19 sometime during the season.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it looks like we have found ourselves in a familiar position once again Steeler Nation...

Anyone care to play armchair GM and tell us what you'd do to fix this mess?

Step 1. Tomlin needs to let Butler do his job. We've beat around the bush with this for years, but the same shell defenses keep appearing. I'm tired of these defensive schemes biting them in the ass and everyone blames "execution". Give me a fucking break. If a crackhead smoked his kneecaps off do we blame the pipe or Timmy? Timmy's the one that's gotta make the god damn decision to wake up and smell the coffee. I hope you guys get what I mean with that. lol. And the schemes in question are the dropping 7-8 into zone coverage while rushing only 2-4 guys. If Butler wants to save his job, then he needs to be given the opportunity to do so. Quit fucking with the program Tomlin. If it isn't Tomlin, then Butler needs to go. No excuse for that lame duck defense being used... ever.

Step 2. Tomlin needs to focus on bringing this group together as a coach and not keeping his hands in the coordinator's cookie pots. I'm not expecting miracles, but he needs to find a way to rally the guys and get them focused. Talk is cheap. Time to get the job done or get the hell out. Anyone hindering that process needs to be made an example of. Ben, AB, you name it. Maybe its time to pull off that Le'Veon trade no matter the cost. Make a statement. If you aren't with us, you are against us. This needs to be a team, not a playground. I don't care who you are or what you've accomplished.

Step 3. FFS can somebody please get us a new punter? I'll start a gofundme if we need to import some central american soccer player to get the job done. Better yet, there's that new International Pathway Program or whatever the fuck its called. Let's kick that TE rugby dude to the curb and bring in a leg.

Step 4. Can somebody start sending me a weekly supply of Iron City Light?

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the culture that Tomlin has created... A cast of self-entitled assholes

DnQmDLGXcAALFw8.jpg

DnQmDLDX4AMEtuc.jpg