• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Draft...way too early talk

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Olsavsky in Idaho? Might have to go buy him a beer!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UPDATE!

Formal/Informal Meetings so far:

I'll try to update this list to include all meetings from combine, pro-days, and pre-draft visits

QBs:
Eastern Michigan - Brogan Roback
Louisville - Lamar Jackson
Oklahoma St - Mason Rudolph

RBs:
Auburn - Kerryon Johnson
LSU - Derrius
Guice

TEs:
Indiana - Ian Thomas
ND - Durham Smythe
Penn St - Mike Gesicki
South Dakota St - Dallas Goedert
Washington - Will Dissly
Wisconsin - Troy Fumagalli

WRs:
Cincinnati - Devin Gray
Middle Tennessee St - Richie James
Oklahoma St - James Washington
Penn - Justin Watson
Washington - Dante Pettis

OL:
Pitt - OT Brian O'Neill (3/23)

LBs:
Alabama - ILB Rashaan Evans
Alabama - ILB Shaun Dion Hamilton
BSU - ILB Leighton Van
der Esch
Eastern Illinois - OLB/Edge Macklin Weaver
Maryland - ILB Jermaine Carter
OSU - ILB Jerome Baker

Stanford - Harrison Phillips
Texas - ILB Malik Jefferson

Western Kentucky - ILB Joel Iyiegbuniwe

DL:
Alabama - DT Da'Ron Payne
Alabama - DT Joshua Frazier
FSU - DT Derrick Nnadi
Penn St - DT Curtis Cothran
USF - DT Deadrin Senat
Stanford - DT Harrison Phillips

S:

Alabama - Ronnie Harrison
Alabama - Minkah Fitzpatrick

Oklahoma St - Tre Flowers
Stanford - Justin Reid
Wake Forest - Jessie Bates

CB:

Florida - Roderick "Duke" Dawson (confirmed)
Villanova - Trey Johnson

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just generally don't like those "late first" QBs. Usually if they are good enough to warrant a first pick they go HIGH. If they don't go high you might as well take a flyer late. Seems just as likely to me to hit on a fifth round QB as a late first. That's all just an impression I have though. No data to back it up.

The local sports talk guys were talking about 1st round QBs over the last 10 yrs and the hit or miss record they had compiled while I was at lunch...60% were misses.

You're right, franchise guys go top 10...Rudolph at 60 is a whole lot more interesting to me than at 28 for certain. But I look back on most of those failed QB draft picks...high picks going to poor teams. I look at the kid that SF got...2nd rd pick from NE, goes into a good system, no immediate pressure to carry the team...when he finally got an opportunity to play, all he does is go out and earn a mega contract.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The local sports talk guys were talking about 1st round QBs over the last 10 yrs and the hit or miss record they had compiled while I was at lunch...60% were misses.

You're right, franchise guys go top 10...Rudolph at 60 is a whole lot more interesting to me than at 28 for certain. But I look back on most of those failed QB draft picks...high picks going to poor teams. I look at the kid that SF got...2nd rd pick from NE, goes into a good system, no immediate pressure to carry the team...when he finally got an opportunity to play, all he does is go out and earn a mega contract.
Yep. You're absolutely right. I dunno man.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. You're absolutely right. I dunno man.

Ideally Ben plays out this contract...if that was a certainty I would probably pass on a QB this draft, but as it stands...we know he's playing '18, and we think he'll finish it off and play '19.

Anything beyond that, I need to see a contract.

That said, I'd much rather it be 60, but I wouldn't be afraid to bring in Rudolph and have him learn under Ben for 2 seasons...I hope the kid proves me wrong, but I'm not as high on Jackson as some others maybe.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would under no circumstances draft Ben's replacement this year. Well, I guess if Darnold fell to their pick maybe. But that isn't going to happen so I have no interest in talking about it. Ben has indicated that he will play a few more years. That's a lifetime in the NFL and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play 4-5 more years to be honest if his health permits it.

Yeah, he could about face and screw the team. He could get injured and call it a career. But you can't plan for everything and right now we have one of the best QB's in the game telling us he isn't going anywhere. Believe him and put pieces around him.

Ben's contract is up in 2020, so as you stated QB is not a need for 2 more years.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing witty???

Throwing in the towel????

Let's see if you can get an S on your works well with others final exam.
Deciding to be the bigger man in this situation.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben's contract is up in 2 years, but do we have the solution at backup on our roster right now?

If not, should we draft a QB, not in the first round, but maybe 2nd or 3rd and let him learn from Ben for the next two years?

If we do have the solution, who is it and when are they gonna step up and show us? Granted, they can only show us in preseason and when Ben gets hurt, but I feel like we should have at least a little bit of confidence in who is gonna be our future QB.

Right now, I have 0 confidence in Dobbs or Jones and I'm not even sure one of those two guys are the answer.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben's contract is up in 2020, so as you stated QB is not a need for 2 more years.
Well the only way I could see them being serious about a QB in this draft is if they want to put someone under Ben for those remaining 1-2 years... And if they are indeed serious about it, then they better be prepared to spend at least a 2nd Rd pick on it or else it will be "grooming another turd" like Landry Jones.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the only way I could see them being serious about a QB in this draft is if they want to put someone under Ben for those remaining 1-2 years... And if they are indeed serious about it, then they better be prepared to spend at least a 2nd Rd pick on it or else it will be "grooming another turd" like Landry Jones.

That's essentially what I was saying. If we aren't confident in Dobbs or Jones, we should probably get a QB in this draft. I love Mason Rudolph, but don't think we should take him in the 1st and don't think he will be available for us in the 2nd.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we honestly have no clue what the offense is going to look like this season. Rumor is Fichtner has history running up-tempo/no-huddle. If he intends to do such a thing then he is going to need a cerebral QB able to call on the fly (which we know Ben is that guy, but for the sake of the backup discussion...). I have serious doubts about Jones being able to handle that role, but not sure about Dobbs. Dobbs is a helluva smart kid so i think he could find a groove with it in a game or 2.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we honestly have no clue what the offense is going to look like this season. Rumor is Fichtner has history running up-tempo/no-huddle. If he intends to do such a thing then he is going to need a cerebral QB able to call on the fly (which we know Ben is that guy, but for the sake of the backup discussion...). I have serious doubts about Jones being able to handle that role, but not sure about Dobbs. Dobbs is a helluva smart kid so i think he could find a groove with it in a game or 2.

I really think Dobbs CAN be the answer, just not the answer right now and that mainly has to do with him being the 3rd string guy. This confidence in Landry that the FO has is baffling to me.