• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-19 Off Season Thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am excited about this week. Awards tomorrow, schedule released Thursday. Draft Friday.

Probably a ton of activity. Then the Doughty saga can be in full swing July 1st (Right?). Feels like not the usual boring summer.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings have a great trade history with Columbus, let's get Panarin! Give 'em Muzzin and Toffoli. :)

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few things this morning of interest.

Sutter retires from coaching:

Darryl Sutter announces retirement from NHL coaching - Sportsnet.ca

Flyers looking to potentially trade Simmonds:

Report: Flyers looking to possibly trade Wayne Simmonds - Sportsnet.ca

And lastly...Predators forward Austin Watson arrested on DV charges. Should be interesting to see how not only Nashville but the NHL handles it. Nashville is also a no nonsense franchise (I'm sure everyone remembers my drinking buddy Jere Karalahti):

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...rrested-suspicion-domestic-assault/717045002/

If you read down to the end, Watson was part of an anti DV public awareness campaign a few years ago held by a few Predator players, spurned no doubt by the Voynov situation. Yikes.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few things this morning of interest.

Sutter retires from coaching:

Darryl Sutter announces retirement from NHL coaching - Sportsnet.ca

Flyers looking to potentially trade Simmonds:

Report: Flyers looking to possibly trade Wayne Simmonds - Sportsnet.ca

And lastly...Predators forward Austin Watson arrested on DV charges. Should be interesting to see how not only Nashville but the NHL handles it. Nashville is also a no nonsense franchise (I'm sure everyone remembers my drinking buddy Jere Karalahti):

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...rrested-suspicion-domestic-assault/717045002/

If you read down to the end, Watson was part of an anti DV public awareness campaign a few years ago held by a few Predator players, spurned no doubt by the Voynov situation. Yikes.

The Sutter retirement article is a great read.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sutter retirement article is a great read.

It truly is, as much flak as that guy got here the last year or so of his tenure he was nothing short of critical in getting the Kings over the hump to Stanley Cup champs. For about 5 years the Kings were the envy of the league and he was a big part of that.

Being a kid from Ohio myself, I love reading about the farming and ranch. We actually have an exit plan from CA within the next 10-12 years or so and moving to Idaho, Wyoming or Montana are all on the list because of the lifestyle of being farm people. It's a much slower, relaxing life and a better fit for me and the family.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Johnson rumors:

NHL free agent rumors: Jack Johnson could receive $6M per year, interest from Canadiens

Now I like McKenzie and think he is one of the more credible guys out there but $6 million (give or take $1 million, also by McKenzie). Yeah, no - I can't see a team paying Johnson $6 million let alone $7 million.

He just finished his 7 year/$30.5 million ($4.36 million/year) that Dumbo signed him to in 2010 and had the worst statistical season of his career and his possession metrics are awful off the charts. You guys know I am not a huge believer in plus/minus or analytics as the be all end all of a player, they are simply tools that fill the entire toolbox and a small piece of the puzzle.

That said, we watched him here for 5-6 years and then watching him in Columbus, his career -109 is well earned and his possession metrics are terrible. The guy couldn't cover dog shit with a 20 foot tarp in his end and his offensive game is not what it used to be. If that is worth $6-7 million, I guess I'm losing my touch on the financial side of the NHL. Moving him for Carter has to be one of the best deals in Kings' history and certainly one of the best of Dumbo's career.

I understand he has the financial issues and he barely made $200,000 a year of his $4.36 million after the settlement so he will be looking to get the most he can. But his performance speaks of itself, and he is not worth more than $4.5 million a season, maybe $5 million if I am a GM and like him personally and feel sorry for his situation and want to help him out.

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around how he was so duped by his folks. People like that give off signs and being his parents they certainly were present throughout his life. His dad is a cocky show off and mom isn't too far behind.*

He either didn't pick the signs up or he is dumber than he looks - neither one is positive.

* took the wife and kids camping to Canyon Lake in Tortilla Flat AZ for 4 days this past weekend, had a blast celebrating Father's Day. Blazing hot, floated in a lake in inner tubes and jet skis, drank beer floating and just enjoyed the scenery and family.

Mrs. Puck, me and a few of the kids went for a walk Sunday afternoon around the campsite and ran across a lady in her late 60s who is here from Wisconsin to battle her sister, who has taken advantage of their 93 year old mother with Alzheimer's/dementia - signing over titles, assets, millions in cash, etc.

I have a sister and as much of a PITA she is, I would never do that to her or my family - or to anyone for that matter - so I started to ask her questions about childhood, growing up, etc. and she said from Day 1 her sister exhibited these qualities so she wasn't surprised. She said that sister (there are 3 total) was not welcome at family functions and other relatives had cut off communication with her as the years went by because of what type of person she is.

Again, these things don't just pop up like a jack in the box, Johnson for whatever reason trusted his folks too much.

Last edited:

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the Kings go after Skinner, I think he would be a decent pickup depending on the price.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kovalchuk has offers on the table from LA, SJ, The Vegans and Boston. Boston apparently has a 2 year/$10 million deal on the table which an article cited as "high". I think that is a very reasonable deal if true, I was actually expecting more, around the $6 million range.

Blake (I'm sure all 4 GMs) wants to know ASAP because that will determine some moves he has in mind for the draft as well as other pieces in play.

If Kovalchuk is a no go, Skinner is a great alternative but he will cost assets too so I'd prefer to sign Kovalchuk for straight up cash.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather go for Panarin than Skinner, Panarin proved he wasn't just Patrick Kane's sidecar in Columbus this season. Younger, way more top end skill and speed.

Pacioretty is also being linked to LA again, but I have reservations on that one. Yes he has averaged 35 goals in 5 full seasons but he is about to turn 30 this summer I believe, wants somewhere between a 6-8 year deal (he has 1 year left on his 6 year/$27 million contract and will be a GIII UFA in summer 2019) and the main ask will be a center because Montreal has yet to find any suitable replacement there since Koivu retired.

So now you're looking at moving one of the Kings' centers, most likely Carter IMO because Kopitar isn't going anywhere and the B6 centers will not be valuable enough to make a deal. I think even at 33½ he has top end skill but we're approaching that age where things could either stay as they are and he is a solid C2 through the rest of his contract (3 years left/$5.272 cap hit) but also something really goes south and the Kings are straddled with yet another big dollar, difficult to move deal.

As much as I like Jeff Carter, I think this is something that definitely needs to be considered because of his age as well as changes needed to address other areas. He was critical to winning that first Cup and is a fixture here now but I think the time has come to look at him and see where he fits and transition him out.

Moving Carter frees up that $5.27 million and if they are legitimately thinking about putting Kempe as a center then he is inserted as the C2 and some combination of Lewis/Thompson/Amadio and if Vilardi makes the team those four slots are locked down and transitions in the younger Kings starting their careers.

But now you have Pacioretty, he needs a long term deal (my offer would be 5 years/$7.5 million or 6 years/$7 million) that may or may not work out so there is a financial risk there. To top it off, if Carter isn't on the table they will want a top end center and that moves the discussion to Vilardi or Nolan-Anderson. Blake is showing a philosophy to stockpile the farm again, so I can't see him moving Vilardi unless it's a can't miss deal and that isn't the case with Pacioretty.

Interesting note here is that they traded Galchenyuk for Domi earlier this week, which was really puzzling considering they need a center. I'm assuming they may play him there but honestly Max Domi is not that good of a hockey player. Not sure what Bergevin was thinking there but we will see how it plays out.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand shedding salary. But instead trading Carter for a winger, why not just move him back to RW? Assuming Kempe and Valardi are the 2, 3 Centers?

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya not sure how I feel about that signing. I know many here like him but IMO he doesn't really hustle or do much unless he is in the offensive zone. Sure we need scoring but I like players that help prevent scoring as well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya not sure how I feel about that signing. I know many here like him but IMO he doesn't really hustle or do much unless he is in the offensive zone. Sure we need scoring but I like players that help prevent scoring as well.

Yeah I have mixed emotions, but I don't know that Blake is done yet. I've been sitting on this the last few minutes and the thought of Kopitar and Kovalchuk is exciting. I like Iafallo but I think that's a big upgrade on finishing right there. Someone to upgrade the PP. I wish it was a 2 year deal, but I think we paid what we had to, especially factoring in that we needed to prevent SJ and Vegas from picking him up. SJ getting Evander Kane and Kovalchuk would have been really bad.

Kings we're not that far off from beating Vegas. Lost 2 games 1-0 and another in double OT (Mostly because of Quick, but still...). And scoring could have made a difference.