• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Pirates

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well figured we should just start this with the typical Pirates order of business.

Pirates Unlikely To Extend Gerrit Cole

If that is the case I wonder what type of haul he could garner even in a down season since he is a top level pitcher, under control and all teams know he won't be a Pirate long-term when FA occurs.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well figured we should just start this with the typical Pirates order of business.

Pirates Unlikely To Extend Gerrit Cole

If that is the case I wonder what type of haul he could garner even in a down season since he is a top level pitcher, under control and all teams know he won't be a Pirate long-term when FA occurs.

We still have time with Cole, and we're not sure what kind of pitching we'll have without him. Taillon's good, and Kuhl and Brault look like they have promise, but Glasnow has a lot to figure out, and Kingham's going to need time to build back up from his TJ.

Plus, a healthy Cole is a top 10 starting pitcher in baseball. No matter the haul, they probably shouldn't deal an asset like that, especially not after a down year.

I think we pretty much have to let him play out his arbitration years, or at least two of them.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is complete unredlated, but folks in Pittsburgh, who do you root for in NBA?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is complete unredlated, but folks in Pittsburgh, who do you root for in NBA?
Honestly growing up you only saw the National games so 9 times out of 10 it was the Lakers, Pistons, Bull or Celtics so you didn't much choice outside that All-Star weekend. But I ended up taking a liking to the Hawks because of Wilkins and then the Webb dunk contest. So painfully been a Hawks fan ever since.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we sign Edwin Encarnacion? Not from a baseball perspective, but from a his-celebration-involves-an-imaginary-parrot-and-that-would-be-amazing-on-the-Pirates perspective.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees waived Eovaldi. If he'd take a minor league deal or a pretty cheap Major League deal, he'd be worth a look as a reclamation project. He's got great stuff, probably an adjustment away from being a useful starter.

It would also be interesting to deal McCutchen for a middle-of-the-rotation starting pitcher and a prospect. We have better internal options to fill the outfield than the rotation. If the DH comes to the NL, though, it would be a lot tougher to recover the value, I'd imagine.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Right now, here is what the 25-man looks like based on players under control:

C-Cervelli, Stewart
1B-Bell, Jaso
2B-Harrison, Frazier
SS-Mercer, Hanson
3B-Kang, Freese
OF-Marte, Polanco, McCutchen
SP-Cole, Taillon, Kuhl, Brault, Glasnow
RP-Bastardo, Nicasio, Watson, Hughes, Rivero, Cumpton, Bonilla

Despite this being a team under control, I believe there will be multiple changes (McCutchen and Harrison traded) and 1 or 2 SP added. If McCutchen and/or Harrison gets traded then this becomes one of the lowest team salaries in baseball after creeping up the past few years. Probably back to bottom 5 in payroll unless a significant SP is added.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, here is what the 25-man looks like based on players under control:

C-Cervelli, Stewart
1B-Bell, Jaso
2B-Harrison, Frazier
SS-Mercer, Hanson
3B-Kang, Freese
OF-Marte, Polanco, McCutchen
SP-Cole, Taillon, Kuhl, Brault, Glasnow
RP-Bastardo, Nicasio, Watson, Hughes, Rivero, Cumpton, Bonilla

Despite this being a team under control, I believe there will be multiple changes (McCutchen and Harrison traded) and 1 or 2 SP added. If McCutchen and/or Harrison gets traded then this becomes one of the lowest team salaries in baseball after creeping up the past few years. Probably back to bottom 5 in payroll unless a significant SP is added.

I could see them trading McCutchen directly for a #2 SP or for prospects who can be flipped for one, and using the money saved to sign a guy like Rich Hill to really deepen the rotation, a closer, and a true starting second baseman or a stop-gap outfielder.

I don't expect the Bucs to leave all of the Liriano, McCutchen, and Harrison money unspent by any stretch.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees waived Eovaldi. If he'd take a minor league deal or a pretty cheap Major League deal, he'd be worth a look as a reclamation project. He's got great stuff, probably an adjustment away from being a useful starter.

It would also be interesting to deal McCutchen for a middle-of-the-rotation starting pitcher and a prospect. We have better internal options to fill the outfield than the rotation. If the DH comes to the NL, though, it would be a lot tougher to recover the value, I'd imagine.

I agree on Eovaldi. I think he would pitch well in PNC.

As for McCutchen the Nats deal is heating up again. If Joe Ross is part of what is coming back I would be happy with that if they get the others mentioned also.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruby De La Rosa seems like a guy the Pirates should be interested in.

Ross/Torres + B prospect + lottery ticket would be an acceptable package for Cutch, IMO.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Eovaldi. I think he would pitch well in PNC.

As for McCutchen the Nats deal is heating up again. If Joe Ross is part of what is coming back I would be happy with that if they get the others mentioned also.

Agree on Eovaldi, was surprised to see he's only 26, feels like he's been around forever.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am starting to think that the Liriano/McCutchen money will go to 2 veteran SP. Maybe even include Watson and Harrison money then it gets interesting.

Maybe a McCutchen and Watson package for Victor Robles, Reynaldo Lopez and Gio Gonzalez?

Then send something along the lines of Tyler Glasnow and Cole Tucker for Chris Sale.

Gonzalez's contract is $12M in '17 and $12M option in '18
Sale's contract is $12M in '17, $12.5M option in '18 and $15M option in '19 + incentives

Both Gonzalez and Sale would be affordable and the option years give the Pirates an out if something goes wrong.