• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey, Rookie!

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jazz have had 1 ROY winner, Darrell Griffith in 1981.

1980-81 NBA Awards Voting | Basketball-Reference.com

The next closest was Karl Malone's 3rd place finish in 1986.

Perhaps talk about any big games that this year's contenders may have, which would influence voters.

I think voters will probably focus more on the big games, then the bad ones.

It would be good for the Jazz to make the playoffs, and have the award winner.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on the broadcast during All Star Weekend that Mitchell is the first player in NBA history to be a rookie with an 11 game win streak, and lead his team in scoring.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. I don't want to get invested in it because it will piss me off when Ben Simmons wins it as a technical rookie. I call BS. Duncan was a Center playing like a PF. Ben Simmons is a second year player being considered a rookie because he didn't learn anything last year.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. I don't want to get invested in it because it will piss me off when Ben Simmons wins it as a technical rookie.

Understandable. Thanks. :(

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Radio host Damon Bruce agrees with you.

He said, during the past year, Mitchell learned:

* How to negotiate a NBA contract.
* How to deal with ticket requests.
* How to deal with money.
* How to travel and pack.
* How to deal with women.
* Seeing teams for the first time.

Bruce focused on a lot of the off-the-court experiences Mitchell learned this year, while he said Simmons has already had a chance to experience them last year.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe adds to ROY debate

Screen_Shot_2018_04_10_at_8.06.55_PM.png

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This pic is less grainy.

Donovan_Mitchell_sports_hoodie_campaigning_for_ROTY.jpg

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About when to consider someone a rookie:

How do you handle David Robinson? He joined his team 2 years later because of his commitments to the Navy.

What about Jerry Lucas? He decided to play in the ABA instead, for a year. He was drafted in 1962.

After that, he joined his NBA team, the Royals, in 1963.

NBA Rookie of the Year Award - Wikipedia

How do you distinguish someone who has spent a year with the team, like Ben Simmons and Blake Griffin, vs. Jerry Lucas (who played in the ABA instead of the NBA) and David Robinson (who was not around the team)?

Maybe they can say something like your rookie year starts the minute you sign that rookie contract. That way, you can't be around the team until you sign the contract.

But now I see that David Robinson actually signed in 1987! LOL. Maybe he should have held off until 1989.

But then what if he got hurt at the Navy?

Still, I guess it's a better system.

It would have eliminated Griffin and Simmons from being rookies because they signed their contracts and were around the team while hurt.

And maybe Jerry Lucas could have waited to sign the contract until he was ready to play in the NBA. Actually it appears Jerry Lucas was drafted by both the ABA and NBA, and he chose the ABA first in 1962.

So he still could have chosen the ABA in 1962, then switched to the NBA, the other league that had drafted him, in 1963.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish he had never entered into the argument by wearing that sweatshirt, but I know, he was having fun.

Simmons is going to win it and I will file it under the Duncan is a Center playing Power Forward category and leave it there. Simmons year is better than last year's Rookie of the Year.

I would have picked Simmons based upon stats and team wins, but Simmons comments turn me off sports wise. I wouldn't need to be a Jazz fan to feel that way.

But alas, Simmons is going to win it, so I'm filing it under the above category as well as the "shit, if we didn't lose the the Knicks twice and Atlanta..." category. Oh well. We weren't first seed, so why worry about third?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Boston!

Even though I did not like the designation of rookie to him, I recognized his talents and liked his assists. If I were blind to the team, I might even vote for him as rookie of the year if I don't take into account his last year. However, due to his comments, I think he is forever in that category where I can't root for him or be happy for him. Too cocky and disrespectful. Unnecessarily. You can be cocky and use that as an edge on the court without having to be a jerk off it. You can believe in yourself and even advocate for yourself for the award without being disrespectful. Too many people propel themselves to either relevance or more important by making comments. Society's philosophy. I wanted it just to be basketball.

So I am resigned to him winning because I think he will win. If he could've just shut the hell up, it would've been neutral to me because I didn't expect Mitchell to win anyway. Besides the designation of rookie, it would not have been a fraudulent award. He would have earned the award. He still will earn it because of his play, but it is ruined by his comments for me. I'm not just saying that because of my team. I would not have liked it if Mitchell said the same thing, though I'd obviously still root for his team.

For the record, I liked Mitchell not saying anything and then didn't like his sweatshirt. I guess he's having fun, but it seems to sidetracked to care about that or wear the shirt and say he doesn't care.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you remove the assists, who else would have qualify, from the past?