• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-2017 Dodgers Offseason Thread

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highly recommend the roster breakdown on TBLA: Dodgers 2016 offseason roster breakdown

The Dodgers have 9 Free Agents:

LHP Brett Anderson
RHP Joe Blanton
RHP Jesse Chavez
LHP Rich Hill
LHP J.P. Howell
RHP Kenley Jansen
OF Josh Reddick
3B Justin Turner
2B Chase Utley

Options:

LHP Scott Kazmir - 2 years $32M player option
C Carlos Ruiz - 1 year $4.5M team option, $500k buyout

-------

See the linked post on TBLA for the full list of players under contract and facing arbitration. Two players have contracts which only last through next season:

OF Andre Ethier - $17.5M
IF/OF Howie Kendrick - $10M

Team control, out of options:

LHP Luis Avilan
RHP Louis Coleman
RHP Chris Hatcher
OF Yasiel Puig (signed through 2018, team control through 2019)

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some players that pop out at me who the Dodgers could consider as a solution to the "we suck against lefties" problem. Some are free agents, some have lots of team control, some have expiring contracts.

Ian Desmond
Ian Kinsler
Kyle Seager
Evan Longoria
Adrian Beltre (yup)
Brandon Guyer
Ryan Braun
Danny Valencia

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shawn Tolleson is a free agent. I'd be happy with a reunion. It has always bugged me that Ned let Tolleson go for free.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if the front office will feel it's worth bringing Turner back. Will be interesting to see what they do with him and Jansen.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if the front office will feel it's worth bringing Turner back. Will be interesting to see what they do with him and Jansen.
The market is so thin, I suspect they will pay him. However, his age you;d create a conflict with the Stan Kasten theory on long term contracts past 36 years of age.

I'm a little concerned about this office season. The market is so light, that even if the Dodgers simply resign KJ and Turner, that does not necessarily improve the team. How do they improve this team?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The market is so thin, I suspect they will pay him. However, his age you;d create a conflict with the Stan Kasten theory on long term contracts past 36 years of age.

I'm a little concerned about this office season. The market is so light, that even if the Dodgers simply resign KJ and Turner, that does not necessarily improve the team. How do they improve this team?

Not to state the obvious but we have to stay healthy. I can't believe how unlucky we were last year. We need to stay away from chronically injured players like Anderson. We also need to shore up the back end of the rotation. Hopefully we can rely on some of our Minor League players to step up but I am not sure who is ready. In order, outside of re-signing Jensen and Turner

1. 2nd base
2. #2 starter
3. Reliable 5th starter (innings eater)
4. Set up man

Thats it off the top of my head. I am really begining to hate that Montas/Cotton trade. Montas would have been a perfect set up guy.

Regarding our Farm system, most of our most talented players won't be ready until 2018 at the earliest. The Big 3 (Bellinger, Verdugo and Calhoun) should be ready in 2018 or 2019. Bellinger should be ready first. With respect to the arms, Stewart and Oaks might be ready. However, our more talented arms like Alvarez and Buehler won't be ready till later. I think De Leon could be ready next year actually.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to start with a mental picture of who the team already has on the 40-man and then figure out the weak spots.

Starters (in no particular order):
Kershaw
Urias
De Leon
Maeda
Ryu (?)
McCarthy (?)
Kazmir (?)
Stripling
Stewart
Wood

Outfielders:
Ethier
Puig
Pederson
Toles
Hernandez
Segedin
Van Slyke(?)
Thompson (?)
Johnson
Kendrick

Infielders:
Gonzalez
Seager
Culberson
Taylor

Catchers:
Grandal
Barnes
Ruiz (?)

Relievers:
Avilan
Baez
Hatcher (?)
Dayton
Fields
Coleman
Frias (?)
Garcia (?)
Liberatore
Ravin

? = Health concerns, questionable availability.

So when I look at that list, the biggest holes I see are in the bullpen and the infield. Jansen and Blanton are both free agents. I think we'd all be happy to see them both back next season plus an addition arm or two. In the infield, there's now a hole at 3B and at 2B with Utley and Turner being free agents. Theoretically Howie Kendrick can slide into that 2B slot, but I don't think anyone sees Chris Taylor and/or Charlie Culberson as the third basemen of 2017.

If there's a healthy Trayce Thompson and Scott Van Slyke next season, the outfield doesn't look too shabby. Ethier is entering his final year until contract so he could be moved a lot easier than in the past. The depth at 1B and SS really worries me. There isn't really an heir apparent should either player go down. Cody Bellinger is looking to be the 1B of the future, but as duke mentioned, he's probably still a year or two away. Same goes for Willie Calhoun at 2B - although he is much less of a safe bet in comparison to Bellinger.

Starting rotation options don't look abysmal when you remember that Julio Urias and Jose De Leon should be available for the full season. I'm also very eager to see what comes from Ryu and McCarthy in spring training. Kazmir still exists, and I'm not ready to close the book on his career. That being said, Clayton seems lonely at the top, so I'd like to see another impact starter.

------

TL;DR - The biggest roster holes to jump out at me are:

1. The infield, especially 2B and 3B
2. The bullpen
3. The top of the rotation - back end doesn't worry me as much considering the Dodgers' depth.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruiz has been traded to Seattle for lefty reliever Vidal Nuno.

Rich Hill has made it known that he wants to stay in LA, which would help the top end of the rotation.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Howie wants to get traded and I don't blame him. I'm sure he likes playing for the Dodgers and repects the team and organization, but it's in his best interest as a pro to get a regular starting role - especially if it's at second base. This is a free agent year for him so I can't blame him. I'd hate to lose him, personally, but it's best for him and he's a definitely a movable asset. He's kind of like Ruiz. Great guy, love to have him, surely he likes it in LA - but a sensible trade is probably the best thing for everyone.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darin Ruf can play a little 1B and LF. I hope Joe Blanton never wears Dodger blue ever again!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darin Ruf can play a little 1B and LF. I hope Joe Blanton never wears Dodger blue ever again!
Why don't you like Joe Blanton?

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't you like Joe Blanton?
He will remind me of Jonathan Broxton every time he takes the mound after his performance in the NLCS.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't get that one? He was beyond solid this year for a low cost pickup.
Living near Philly, 2008 haunts me and Blanton being on those Phillies teams and this past NLCS will upset me every time he pitches.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will remind me of Jonathan Broxton every time he takes the mound after his performance in the NLCS.
Try not to let one painful moment obscure the fact that he was one of the most reliable arms in the bullpen all year, and has been an above average reliever for two full seasons (including one with KC where he won the World Series).

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try not to let one painful moment obscure the fact that he was one of the most reliable arms in the bullpen all year, and has been an above average reliever for two full seasons (including one with KC where he won the World Series).

Well, 2 moments. And I believe he was traded to the Pirates in the middle of 2015 before KC won. Seems like he's another dumpster dive for the Dodgers. The ownership group is willing to spend. Not that it will result in a title. But Friedman has to realize he's no longer in Tampa Bay. Not every player we get has to be a reclamation project. Go out and get a top notch reliever.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, 2 moments. And I believe he was traded to the Pirates in the middle of 2015 before KC won. Seems like he's another dumpster dive for the Dodgers. The ownership group is willing to spend. Not that it will result in a title. But Friedman has to realize he's no longer in Tampa Bay. Not every player we get has to be a reclamation project. Go out and get a top notch reliever.
I wouldn't say get Blanton over a big time arm. I'd say get both.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone keeps matching up the Dodgers and the Tigers in trade rumors, especially regarding Ian Kinsler. As I pointed out earlier (not like anyone needed me to), the Dodgers have a sore need at 2B and in the "able-to-hit-lefties" department. He fits the bill perfectly.

Rumors have it that the Tigers would want Cody Bellinger (Dodgers' 1b-of-the-future). Kinsler has a no-trade clause that includes the Dodgers. And finally, Ian Kinsler's agent was quoted as saying that Kinsler will waive his no-trade clause with the caveat that the team he is traded to will need to work out a contract extension.

Kinsler is 34 years old, under contract through age 36. That doesn't seem like the profile of a player that the Dodgers would want to be in extension talks with, so we'll see what Guggenheim does.

Personally, those conditions make me believe the Dodgers will work harder for a trade with Minnesota for Brian Dozier. He's only 29 and fits the Dodgers needs even better than Kinsler, probably at a similar cost in terms of prospects.