• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-2017 AZ CBB Reg Season

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, another year is upon us. I'm sensing a decrease in activity on here, so maybe this will suffice for a season thread.

What do you guys think? I have to assume that we have a better showing than last year (in March anyway), if for no other reason than because we have more talent on this year's roster.

The schedule has also been released:

I have a much better feeling about this year's squad, again, because of the talent alone. We still need the cohesion. Miller has said that Trier will be the leader. I think he has the ability to do so, but he's only a sophomore, so I don't know how much we can expect from him in a leadership role.

We have a lot of new faces again. Our only 3 year upperclassman is PJC. I'm not saying we're doomed because of it, but I just don't think it helps.

How do you guys see this shaking out?

Is PJC our starting PG? Kobi? Allen?
I think Trier starts at the 2, Smith at the 3, Lauri at the 4, and Dusan at C?

I think Alkins will be in the mix at SF, especially when Smith slides to the PF.

We have a ton of talent in the back court, but like we can all see, our front court is shallow. Lauri, Dusan, and Comanche are all we really have for post presence. Smith will help, but I think his his value is at SF. I do think that Comanche might break out this season, but we just don't have a lot of big bodies to throw in the post. Any of those three (Lauri, Dusan, Comanche) get hurt, foul out, or have a bad game, and it's going to take a lot to overcome it.

I think we have a good shot of going 26-5 or 27-4 with 3 or 4 losses in conference. The pac is looking strong again this season, and our trips to LA, UW, and Oregon could be trouble.

I think we split against Gonzaga and MSU, and win the rest of non-con. Unfortunately other than those two games, and maybe A&M if they can replace who they lost, it doesn't look like a solid OCC again for us (although I have to believe it'll be better than last year's).

Obviously potential injuries will hurt, but I think we will really need Trier to keep us together this season. I think our talent alone can get us playing for the title game in the Pac tourney, and at least a S16 in March. But again, we don't have a single guy who has started more than a year for us, and that worries me.

I think Trier can get us there, I just don't think we should expect it.

It'll be really interesting this season to see how Miller uses all of our back court talent, and how well the post develops for us.

I think we'll be fighting for 2/3 in the Pac, and maybe hovering around the 8-15 range in the ranks. If Trier can get us together, I think we could be a 3 seed. If not, I think we go as low as a 5 because of SOS. I think the S16 is certainly doable, but I just think there is too much solid competition this year for us to get to the FF, unless we play a team that upset who we should lose to.

Looking forward to it. Wishing that we could play in PHX in April!!!

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As usual CTP hits it out of the park.

I think our Lineup will look like this, at least against MSU.
Allen
Trier
Smith
Markannen
Ristic

Trier has the ability to be the conference player of the year and from everything ive been hearing he has had a great offseason. I heard Miller wants to try to keep him on the court 75-80% of the time, and honestly if he isnt our leader in the locker room who is? Allen? Pretty confident in Trier carrying this team but also receiving plenty of help. Also with the players we have this season I think Miller (hopefully :hope:) runs a higher tempo offense than what we've done in the past, with a little more flow to the game. His anger fueled timeouts sometimes just piss me off. Sometimes you gotta let them play, Coach. Knocking off Oregon and dishing out payback would be awesome. Their fans are a bunch of fairweather dolts with little to no CBB awareness or knowledge.

Right now I just fall asleep thinking about the MSU game in Pearl Harbor. BTFD

Last edited:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As usual CTP hits it out of the park.

I think our Lineup will look like this, at least against MSU.
Allen
Trier
Smith
Markannen
Ristic

Trier has the ability to be the conference player of the year and from everything ive been hearing he has had a great offseason. I heard Miller wants to try to keep him on the court 75-80% of the time, and honestly if he isnt our leader in the locker room who is? Allen? Pretty confident in Trier carrying this team but also receiving plenty of help. Also with the players we have this season I think Miller (hopefully :hope:) runs a higher tempo offense than what we've done in the past, with a little more flow to the game. His anger fueled timeouts sometimes just piss me off. Sometimes you gotta let them play, Coach. Knocking off Oregon and dishing out payback would be awesome. Their fans are a bunch of fairweather dolts with little to no CBB awareness or knowledge.

Right now I just fall asleep thinking about the MSU game in Pearl Harbor. BTFD

Yeah man, I can definitely see Allen starting at point. I have to believe that when Miller takes his rotation down to the normal 7-8 players, either PJC or Simmons is going to get almost completely left out of PT. I think that the better of the two will backup Allen, but the other is going to only get minutes in blowouts, or when everyone else is getting breathers. Someone getting injured is the only scenario I see where the 3rd PG gets PT.

I'm really hoping that Trier can lead. I'm not sure what I expect from him (with regards to leadership) to start the year, but hopefully he can settle into that role.

The talent is really going to be all we need in most games, but toward the end of the season, the P12 tourney, and March, we're going to need major chemistry and leadership to go deep in this year's field.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Blue game in about 40 mins live on PAC 12 networks.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Blue game in about 40 mins live on PAC 12 networks.

Did you see it? I was really impressed with PJC, Lauri, Alkins, Trier, Allen, and Smith. I also think that Australian kid will log good minutes in the post.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see it? I was really impressed with PJC, Lauri, Alkins, Trier, Allen, and Smith. I also think that Australian kid will log good minutes in the post.
Yeah I watched it. Pretty much agree with you. Maybe I'm misremembering previous red blue games but it looked like the players were a lot more comfortable in this one. I'm really excited for Markannen. Kid looks ready to be a significant factor from the get go.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Trier looked like a future PAC 12 POY.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I've heard about it. Rumors say he tested positive for PEDs and Arizona is appealing.

That's what I heard too. I hope he can play, but more so, I hope he didn't take anything. Fucking ridiculous.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Status of Trier not looking good and now Comanche is suspended indefinitely because of academic issues. Can't we ever have a season without shit like this?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Smith supposedly suffered ANOTHER serious injury in the exhibition. God bless that kid.

This team is taking punch after punch.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Smith supposedly suffered ANOTHER serious injury in the exhibition. God bless that kid.

This team is taking punch after punch.

Just heard. Man that really sucks

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Smith is retiring from basketball after tearing his ACL for the third time.