• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Draft Signings

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there really much difference between AZL and Salem? Salem actually travels, so I would assume that is slightly more advanced (more "professional"), but I am not sure there is a major talent difference between the two levels.

Yeah probably not much different talent wise, but they can focus more on mechanical things in the AZL. For example, if they want to tweak something with Bickford, they'll have more hands-on time with the kid because they aren't traveling at all, and they have their home facilities down there. Plus, the AZL acts more as a scrimmage I've heard, and the kids probably need more coaching.

The Salem Volcanoes are still technically a money-making team, so a little more pressure to put a decent product on the field. But yeah I don't think there is too much of a difference talent wise.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the signing period officially over, I looked for published lists of our signings again.

BaseballCube had a nice interface, but I have questioned it's accuracy over the last couple years. But according to them (comparing to my list above)...

17th rounder Cameron Avila-Leeper HAS NOT signed.
26th rounder Tyler Brown HAS signed. He has appeared in games, so this is independently confirmed.
35th rounder Drew Jackson HAS NOT signed.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the signing period officially over, I looked for published lists of our signings again.

BaseballCube had a nice interface, but I have questioned it's accuracy over the last couple years. But according to them (comparing to my list above)...

17th rounder Cameron Avila-Leeper HAS NOT signed.
26th rounder Tyler Brown HAS signed. He has appeared in games, so this is independently confirmed.
35th rounder Drew Jackson HAS NOT signed.

I have all 3 as signed.

They signed 31 of 41 picks, including 24 of the first 25 (only 20th rounder Travis Eckert out of Oregon State didn't sign).

Those who didn't sign:

25th rounder
29th rounder
30th rounder
31st rounder
33rd rounder
34th rounder
36th rounder
38th rounder
39th rounder

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reporting on this year's signings is horrible. I just can't find any sites with reliable lists. Even the Giants official site still lists jalen Miller as unsigned, yet he has been playing for the last 2 or 3 weeks, so he is OBVIOUSLY signed.

I have not found anything that indicates that 12th rounder Hector Santiago has signed, outside of his omission from a list of unsigned picks in the first 20 rounds.

It was never this tough in previous years...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back at the 2015 draft, the Giants did sign 11 of the 40 picks (one, however, was Ryan Howard, who was drafted and signed in 2016). Of the 29 picks who signed, 8 are no longer playing professional baseball. Another 3 got let go by the Giants organization during the 2018 season. That leaves 18 guys who are still playing professional baseball (17 still with the Giants). They are:
Phil Bickford (1) - Traded to the Brewers, he's having an awful season as a reliever in their AA affiliate.
Andrew Suarez (2) - Filling in admirably with the big club this year, although tonight's game was rough.
Jalen Miller (3) - Hitting pretty decently at San Jose (decent pop, meh on base). At 21 years of age, he could still make the big leagues.
Mac Marshall (4) - Struggles with injuries have seen him not advance very far, but his numbers look promising at San Jose
Ronnie Jebavy (5) - This guy was drafted before Duggar? He looks awful at Richmond.
Steven Duggar (6)- I think he was a bit rushed to San Francisco but he looks to be a decent outfielder.
Cory Taylor (8) - He's missed most of the year due to injury but looked to be one of the better starters in Richmond when healthy.
David Graybill (9) - Has been on the restricted list all season with the AZL Black. Hasn't pitched since the 2015 season.
Tyler Cyr (10)- Went down for the year after a rough start with Richmond.
CJ Hinojosa (11) - Had a late start due to a drug suspension. Started in San Jose and moved up to Richmond, where he is hitting okay.
Hector Santiago (12) - In rookie ball! And not starting much either. He's never made it out of the AZL but is just 20 years old.
Matt Winn (14) - Had a promising first half at San Jose but his hitting has faded considerably in the 2nd half.
Cody Brickhouse (15) - Another guy stuck in the AZL. Also never made it out of the AZL but he is hitting well, albeit at 21 years old.
Heath Slatton (18) - Has not pitched this year but is listed as active with MiLB. Probably injured.
Ryan Halstead (21) - Pitched mainly with Richmond, but played a little with Sacramento before being injured. Putting up good numbers in AA.
Domenic Mazza (22) - Another late start due to injury, he's throwing now at San Jose and having a good season.
Dillon Dobson (23)- Started out in the middle infield with Richmond where he hit very poorly. Now at San Jose, where he isn't doing much better.
Bryan Case (27)- A catcher who hasn't played a professional game since 2016. Either injured or being used for rehabing pitchers at the spring training complex.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back at the 2015 draft, the Giants did sign 11 of the 40 picks (one, however, was Ryan Howard, who was drafted and signed in 2016). Of the 29 picks who signed, 8 are no longer playing professional baseball. Another 3 got let go by the Giants organization during the 2018 season. That leaves 18 guys who are still playing professional baseball (17 still with the Giants). They are:
Phil Bickford (1) - Traded to the Brewers, he's having an awful season as a reliever in their AA affiliate.
Andrew Suarez (2) - Filling in admirably with the big club this year, although tonight's game was rough.
Jalen Miller (3) - Hitting pretty decently at San Jose (decent pop, meh on base). At 21 years of age, he could still make the big leagues.
Mac Marshall (4) - Struggles with injuries have seen him not advance very far, but his numbers look promising at San Jose
Ronnie Jebavy (5) - This guy was drafted before Duggar? He looks awful at Richmond.
Steven Duggar (6)- I think he was a bit rushed to San Francisco but he looks to be a decent outfielder.
Cory Taylor (8) - He's missed most of the year due to injury but looked to be one of the better starters in Richmond when healthy.
David Graybill (9) - Has been on the restricted list all season with the AZL Black. Hasn't pitched since the 2015 season.
CJ Hinojosa (11) - Had a late start due to a drug suspension. Started in San Jose and moved up to Richmond, where he is hitting okay.
Hector Santiago (12) - In rookie ball! And not starting much either. He's never made it out of the AZL but is just 20 years old.
Matt Winn (14) - Had a promising first half at San Jose but his hitting has faded considerably in the 2nd half.
Cody Brickhouse (15) - Another guy stuck in the AZL. Also never made it out of the AZL but he is hitting well, albeit at 21 years old.
Heath Slatton (18) - Has not pitched this year but is listed as active with MiLB. Probably injured.
Ryan Halstead (21) - Pitched mainly with Richmond, but played a little with Sacramento before being injured. Putting up good numbers in AA.
Domenic Mazza (22) - Another late start due to injury, he's throwing now at San Jose and having a good season.
Dillon Dobson (23)- Started out in the middle infield with Richmond where he hit very poorly. Now at San Jose, where he isn't doing much better.
Bryan Case (27)- A catcher who hasn't played a professional game since 2016. Either injured or being used for rehabing pitchers at the spring training complex.

Jebavy was a cost-savings guy, but he is also probably a better defensive CFer than Duggar, which says a lot. He was also putting up stats in college, whereas Duggar has always had the tools but never quite put it all together at Clemson.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All-in-all, not a terrible haul. Suarez looks like a solid 4. Duggar at least a 4th OFer. Marshall is taking the long road, but has good stuff. Cyr was making a push before going down with TJ. Hinojosa looks like a potential utility. Miller, as you say, has some ceiling left.

You're also missing a key guy....

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All-in-all, not a terrible haul. Suarez looks like a solid 4. Duggar at least a 4th OFer. Marshall is taking the long road, but has good stuff. Cyr was making a push before going down with TJ. Hinojosa looks like a potential utility. Miller, as you say, has some ceiling left.

You're also missing a key guy....
:doh: How did I miss listing Chris Shaw?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the list, now including the big dude on top (team signed 30 of 41 picks, 18 still in the org):
Chris Shaw (1) - Big guy with big time power. Strikes out a bit much but looks to have a decent big league career.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nits need picking, so I will pick nits...

Bickford was a legit 1st rounder while Shaw was a sandwich pick. Bickford should be listed first.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yeah, decent haul. We got 1st round value in the 6th round and still have the bopper waiting in the wings. Add in a rotation arm and multiple potential role players, and it is a solid draft. And that isn’t counting the Bickford flip.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yeah, decent haul. We got 1st round value in the 6th round and still have the bopper waiting in the wings. Add in a rotation arm and multiple potential role players, and it is a solid draft. And that isn’t counting the Bickford flip.

Yeah, a widely panned deal at the time that actually looks to favor the Giants at this point. Susac is no longer with the Brewers and Bickford is still recovering from his suspension+injury lost 2017. The once electric fastball looks flat. A reliever future seems like a long shot at this point.

Looking back, that pick is more confounding by the day. He was not a cost-saving pick, had a mixed background already and upon closer inspection the Giants got out of that as soon as they could.

Whereas six picks later, Walker Buehler was drafted by the Dodgers, and he fits almost the exact mold of pitchers they target lately; college, high velocity, Cape Cod performer (he was Co-MVP in the Cape Cod League), and he signed under the slot. Just very odd in retrospect.

Oh well.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, a widely panned deal at the time that actually looks to favor the Giants at this point. Susac is no longer with the Brewers and Bickford is still recovering from his suspension+injury lost 2017. The once electric fastball looks flat. A reliever future seems like a long shot at this point.

Looking back, that pick is more confounding by the day. He was not a cost-saving pick, had a mixed background already and upon closer inspection the Giants got out of that as soon as they could.

Whereas six picks later, Walker Buehler was drafted by the Dodgers, and he fits almost the exact mold of pitchers they target lately; college, high velocity, Cape Cod performer (he was Co-MVP in the Cape Cod League), and he signed under the slot. Just very odd in retrospect.

Oh well.
I wasn't in favor of that trade but it did turn out very well for the Giants. I'm still bummed that Susac has not established himself in the big leagues. He even had a wide open shot on a really bad Oriole team and somehow managed to post the worst offensive numbers (albeit in a SSS) on a team of bad performers.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't in favor of that trade but it did turn out very well for the Giants. I'm still bummed that Susac has not established himself in the big leagues. He even had a wide open shot on a really bad Oriole team and somehow managed to post the worst offensive numbers (albeit in a SSS) on a team of bad performers.

Yeah I think most were pretty against it. I'll say I liked Will Smith quite a lot at the time, but still felt it was too steep a price. For awhile it looked like the trade was a lose-lose.

As for Susac, he went to two terrific hitters parks and still could figure it out. Too bad, he seemed to have a promising career ahead

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think most were pretty against it. I'll say I liked Will Smith quite a lot at the time, but still felt it was too steep a price. For awhile it looked like the trade was a lose-lose.

As for Susac, he went to two terrific hitters parks and still could figure it out. Too bad, he seemed to have a promising career ahead
I was looking at Smith's transactions and didn't realize that he's been traded as much as he has. He was shipped from the Royals to the Brewers for Nori Aoki (who later played with the Giants) but before that he was shipped from the Angels, along with Sean O'Sullivan. O'Sullivan, if you recall, made his major league debut against the Giants, in 2009, in what I believe was Irish night at the ballpark. He threw 7 innings of 1 run baseball against the Giants, in what seemed like the game that started the rookie pitcher making his debut against the Giants meme. O'Sullivan hadn't thrown any games like that the rest of that season (or, I doubt, any seasons since then).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think I speak for a lot of the board when I say thanks; this is awesome info and I appreciate your efforts to aggregate it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Word to the mama.