• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

16-17 Season Thread

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they have plenty of money so salary really shouldn't be a concern. Because Simmons needs talent around him. Because Okafor can't defend very well. Because Embiid has injury issues that could limit his playing time. Noel is a valuable player in today's NBA. Colangelo got virtually nothing for him. Sad.

That money can be better used imo than grossly overpaying a player like Noel to give you 20-22 minutes per game. You can find solid Defense only players out there at a fraction of his cost. You get Simmons in there next year, an early draft pick this year, an ever improving Saric, still have Okafor ... Embiid will have talent around him.

Last edited:

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in the end we will get more for Ok4. He is a legit 18/9 per game. They don't grow on trees. They have this year and next to get him minutes. With the Embiid "injury" Ok4 will get lots of minutes now that Nerlens is gone. I am not a BC guy, but I have to hope BB had some say in this.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in the end we will get more for Ok4. He is a legit 18/9 per game. They don't grow on trees. They have this year and next to get him minutes. With the Embiid "injury" Ok4 will get lots of minutes now that Nerlens is gone. I am not a BC guy, but I have to hope BB had some say in this.

Agree ... I'm glad they just didn't give Okafor away. Unlike Noel, Okafor signed for a while with his highest cap hit a tad over 8 mil in year 19-20. Even though he's not as good as Noel defensively, he's much better on the Offensive End. His value will more than likely go up a good deal from this point forward if he can stay healthy.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're mostly right about all of this (despite some of my posts in disagreement with you.) The cap flexibility we get by letting Noel walk has value to it. And since the team probably wasn't going to pay him anyway, we got a former first round pick and two second rounders out of him. That's pretty much garbage, though -- so I wonder if we could have gotten better garbage in return for him two years from now. Maybe, maybe not.

I guess we will have to see what Anderson becomes and what we can do with those two second rounders. The Mavericks' 2nd round pick in 2017 isn't much worse than, say, the Warriors' 1st round pick in 2017. And it's arguably better, assuming we don't get McDaniels'ed by whoever we pick there. Plus, we got another 2nd rounder in 2018 (also likely to be toward the top of the 2nd round) and Anderson. So, maybe I'm being a little harsh on the trade. Honestly, I just don't like Colangelo.

I'm with you on your last sentence.

As for folks mocking the 2nd round picks, what did we send to SAC to get Stauskas, salary dumps, 2016/17 pick swaps, and their 2019 unprotected?

It is what it is.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

18/9 on a bad team doesn't necessarily translate to 18/9 on a good team.

Simply put, if he cannot defend as efficiently as he can score, he will remain a net negative player.
It will not matter how many points, rebounds, and/or blocks he collects if the other team is always scoring more. The advanced analytics back that up. He needs to play with heart. Someone or something has to light a fire under his arse...

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18/9 on a bad team doesn't necessarily translate to 18/9 on a good team.

Simply put, if he cannot defend as efficiently as he can score, he will remain a net negative player.
It will not matter how many points, rebounds, and/or blocks he collects if the other team is always scoring more. The advanced analytics back that up. He needs to play with heart. Someone or something has to light a fire under his arse...

I don't think Okafor will ever be an elite defender, but I really think he could improve to the point where his offense definitively outweighs any defensive liabilities with good coaching, practice, game experience, and a focused effort on improving the deficiencies in his game (particularly over the offseason). I'm glad they kept him.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, here's to Okafor starting to look like a legit NBA player today and to Anderson being this mythical player that wasnt able to get run on a shit team in Dallas that was dealing with injuries, but putting that in his rearview mirror also.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, here's to Okafor starting to look like a legit NBA player today and to Anderson being this mythical player that wasnt able to get run on a shit team in Dallas that was dealing with injuries, but putting that in his rearview mirror also.

I've got people on Facebook saying that Anderson was going to be a cornerstone player for the Mavs. :L

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got people on Facebook saying that Anderson was going to be a cornerstone player for the Mavs. :L

Certainly wouldn't go that far.

But, with TLC, RoCo, and now JA, they are putting together a nice little mini-Draymond squad of smaller, athletic wings with 7' wingspans. If all three hit 3s at league average rate, that's good. If one of those three starts making 40%, it's the gravy train.

In theory, Simmons/JA/TLC/RoCo/Embiid isn't terrible.
That unit should be capable of guarding every position and making any changes on PnRs.

But, before we anoint JA or TLC as the next coming of Draymond, let's see what they can do for the rest of this season. No reason for them not to play JA/TLC major minutes to find out what they have...

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Okafor will ever be an elite defender, but I really think he could improve to the point where his offense definitively outweighs any defensive liabilities with good coaching, practice, game experience, and a focused effort on improving the deficiencies in his game (particularly over the offseason). I'm glad they kept him.

He has such great footwork on offense, you have to wonder why he cannot make those adjustments on defense.
He has a 7' 5" wingspan. He just doesn't have the mental acuity to process information fast enough on defense.
If he doesn't have the heart or fire to get better, then he's a bust (Eddy Curry?) and you just let him go.
If he develops any semblance of being a net positive player, then we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Come to think of it, Simmons/JA/TLC/RoCo/Okafor might give him enough defensive support for him to succeed.
It's really hard to gauge his effort when Sergio/Stauskas is out there.
They might be asking too much of him.
Surround him with elite defenders and maybe he can find his way.
I don't know. He's cost controlled for two more years.
Figure it out.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that last minute took forever. Richaun calming me down today. At what point does Embiids absence cause Dario to overtake him for ROY?

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to playing time Richaun Holmes ... double double with 5 blocks and 2 steals in 26 minutes and we don't have to pay him 20 mil per year. The 5 blocks are more than Noel has had "combined" in the entire month of February.

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn despite all this off the court shit, these boys are still playing hard. Noel will not be miss and he's easily replaceable. Nice win against another .500 + team.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown knew what he was talking about with Holmes. Lock him up!

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that last minute took forever. Richaun calming me down today. At what point does Embiids absence cause Dario to overtake him for ROY?

Dario needs to remain consistent for the rest of the year.
He does that, he takes it.

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn this team knows how to fight!!

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough loss. But this team is fun to watch

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The time off to Embiid has accelerated Dario's development ... I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with this team. 1 Saric point away from having 3 players with 20-10 last night. Welcome back Jahlil Okafor. When this team is finally together next season along with likely adding a top 10 pick ... they are going to be fun to watch for a while.

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good friend of mine (who grew up in Arizona and is not a Philly fan in any way) sent me a text telling me that he thinks with a good PG next year he thinks the Sixers win over 50 games. This came out of the blue, as he was watching them on NBA TV. I love watching this team, they never stop trying. It is nice given how infuriating watching the Flyers has become.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good friend of mine (who grew up in Arizona and is not a Philly fan in any way) sent me a text telling me that he thinks with a good PG next year he thinks the Sixers win over 50 games. This came out of the blue, as he was watching them on NBA TV. I love watching this team, they never stop trying. It is nice given how infuriating watching the Flyers has become.

I could see that. I think they're a playoff team this season if Ben Simmons plays the whole season. If they're getting Simmons + good PG + more seasoned Saric + more seasoned Embiid + defensively improved Okafor + maybe another top 10 pick + Bayless back + more seasoned Holmes + more seasoned TLC. Throw in whatever else they do in free agency.

That being said, 50 wins is hard to reach. Boston was pretty good last year and they only won 48. Plus, the East is getting a little better with time. Of course Cleveland is there . . . but Toronto, Boston, Washington, Atlanta will all be pretty solid next year.

No matter how you cut it, the future is bright for the 76ers. It'd be nice if they could get some luck on the injury front, though. They knew the risks with Noel and Embiid . . . but Okafor got hurt last year, Simmons missed the entire season, and I don't think they ever expected Embiid to miss two full seasons. Plus Bayless was a pretty big loss this year. Hopefully they can get relatively healthy for 2017-2018 and have a little luck in that regard.