• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10/29 GDT World SERIOUS Game 7

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the scorer had a choice on the win. Affeldt was the pitcher of record when the go-ahead run was scored. No spite involved. I was actually surprised when I heard Bum was getting the win.

The only time the scorer has a choice is if the SP is the pitcher if record and he does not go 5. In that sutuation, he CANNOT get the win.

Basically correct.

10.17 WINNING AND LOSING PITCHER
(a) The official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher that pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, unless
(1) such pitcher is a starting pitcher and Rule 10.17(b) applies; or {edit comment: i.e., doesn't pitch 5 innings}
(2) Rule 10.17(c) applies. {edit comment: i.e., relief pitcher was "ineffective in a brief appearance,"}

Affeldt HAD to be the winning pitcher, by the rules.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically correct.

10.17 WINNING AND LOSING PITCHER
(a) The official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher that pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, unless
(1) such pitcher is a starting pitcher and Rule 10.17(b) applies; or {edit comment: i.e., doesn't pitch 5 innings}
(2) Rule 10.17(c) applies. {edit comment: i.e., relief pitcher was "ineffective in a brief appearance,"}

Affeldt HAD to be the winning pitcher, by the rules.

So in this case, we both agree, there is no question that, by the rules, Affeldt had to get the win. No "gray area" involved. Right?

Now, for part (2)...

Assume the SP for team A goes 1.2 IP. The reliever comes in, give up a salami, then gets an out. At the end of that half inning, team A is down 4-0. In the following half inning, Team A scores 5 runs, thus taking the lead with the reliever being the POR. Since he was "ineffective" he would not get the win? But if the SP went 5.2 with all other variables being the same, he WOULD get the win? That's ridiculous.

In today's game, the whole SP specific scoring rules need to be tossed out the window. SPs are going shorter and shorter, and bullies are becoming more and more important.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For my 3,000th post, which correlates well with our 3rd WSC in 5 years, I thought about making this a separate thread, but that would have been far too self-centered.

I want first to apologize to anyone whom I've ever offended, or gone over the line with. No more, at least from me. Specifically, I never should have gotten so sore with tzill. I admire what he did as penance, but he should never have had to go that far, to essentially ban himself. This is a game, and though we are deeply passionate about our Giants, I should never have escalated or criticized anyone anywhere near to the degree that I did. We should all be able to express an opinion, even if someone may disagree, but it should never push the needle anywhere near offensiveness or hatred. For the times I did and felt that way, I am truly sorry.

I have been a Giants fan for over 50 years now, and I must say these last five seasons have been truly a-mays-ing, and very cathartic. And it would have meant a whole lot less if I didn't have a group of fans to share it with. Even though I've never met any of you, and likely never will, I feel a bond that is unique to being a sports fan. But it goes beyond the game - it is a facet of life itself, the dramas, the humor, the adversities, and the triumphs. Oh, yes, yes, yes - indeed the triumphs.

So, thank you, one and all, for humbling me, and sharing this gift we all have. For me, 3,000 posts, and 3 WSC. Wow.

I'll need to make it a point to post more often, and for a long time to come.

On to 2015. Or, it seems more likely, 2016. Go Giants!

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For my 3,000th post, which correlates well with our 3rd WSC in 5 years, I thought about making this a separate thread, but that would have been far too self-centered.

I want first to apologize to anyone whom I've ever offended, or gone over the line with. No more, at least from me. Specifically, I never should have gotten so sore with tzill. I admire what he did as penance, but he should never have had to go that far, to essentially ban himself. This is a game, and though we are deeply passionate about our Giants, I should never have escalated or criticized anyone anywhere near to the degree that I did. We should all be able to express an opinion, even if someone may disagree, but it should never push the needle anywhere near offensiveness or hatred. For the times I did and felt that way, I am truly sorry.

I have been a Giants fan for over 50 years now, and I must say these last five seasons have been truly a-mays-ing, and very cathartic. And it would have meant a whole lot less if I didn't have a group of fans to share it with. Even though I've never met any of you, and likely never will, I feel a bond that is unique to being a sports fan. But it goes beyond the game - it is a facet of life itself, the dramas, the humor, the adversities, and the triumphs. Oh, yes, yes, yes - indeed the triumphs.

So, thank you, one and all, for humbling me, and sharing this gift we all have. For me, 3,000 posts, and 3 WSC. Wow.

3,000 posts.

That's so cute.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK, seriously...

Great post, bro. Everyone can have their nerves tested, especially this past season (I still cannot believe that THAT team won the World Series). I am positive that EVEN I can grate on nerves at times (I know, I know, but it can happen).

The thing to remember is that everyone here is CLEARLY a nut-job-Giants-fan. Every last one of us. Some get snarky with it, some get academic with it, some get statistical, some get ass-hole-ish, some get poetic, some get jinxy. The point is, no matter our own, specific language, we are all saying the same thing...

GO GIANTS.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To piggy back this post a little bit, I just wanted to say Thanks for letting me ease my way into the group. Over on the old CBS boards I was an old timer. When those boards went away I had to find a home. At first this group was a bit intimidating, but as time went on I felt more comfortable.....I tend to be a bit overly-superstitious, so I tried to pick and choose my moments during the Playoffs, but I still felt like a part of something as this crazy run went deeper and deeper into October.

Thanks again, fellas....and....

Go Giants!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To piggy back this post a little bit, I just wanted to say Thanks for letting me ease my way into the group. Over on the old CBS boards I was an old timer. When those boards went away I had to find a home. At first this group was a bit intimidating, but as time went on I felt more comfortable.....I tend to be a bit overly-superstitious, so I tried to pick and choose my moments during the Playoffs, but I still felt like a part of something as this crazy run went deeper and deeper into October.

Go Giants!

I understand the intimidation factor. We have been together for about 10 years and we have a pretty extensive shorthand with each other and a ton of long-standing inside jokes. That said, I think you have fit in great.

Welcome, and don't be such a stranger moving forward.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Go Giants!

Not only are you a true Giants fan, you are an SU fan as well. Works for me! You are certainly welcome here.

Go Orange..and Black.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First, hope to see at LEAST 3,000 more from you

Second, you didn't cause anything...mostly it was self-inflicted. I myself was over the line so as MSG has told me numerous times: when you are that strident, you're going to engender some animosity.

Anyway, I didn't really take any of it personally; I tried to look at it as a chance to be better and that started with giving you all the opportunity to enjoy the run without me bringing anyone down. I thought it was the right decision then and still do now. I never intended to leave the board -- it's part of my day and I obviously enjoy being here.

Anyway, as I posted before -- 1) winning is the best deodorant and 2) as far as am concerned we're all starting with a clean slate.

Unless somebody disses the Susser....THEN it's farging WAR.

oh, and almost forgot to relay this:

AB: I FUCKING TOLD YOU LADYBOYS TO CALM THE FUCK DOWN...I GOT THIS. DID I OR DID I NOT MANAGE THE CRAP OUTTA THAT SERIES? AGAIN. FOR THE THIRD TIME. NOW SHUT YER WHINING PIE HOLES.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, seriously...

Great post, bro. Everyone can have their nerves tested, especially this past season (I still cannot believe that THAT team won the World Series). I am positive that EVEN I can grate on nerves at times (I know, I know, but it can happen).

The thing to remember is that everyone here is CLEARLY a nut-job-Giants-fan. Every last one of us. Some get snarky with it, some get academic with it, some get statistical, some get ass-hole-ish, some get poetic, some get jinxy. The point is, no matter our own, specific language, we are all saying the same thing...

GO GIANTS.

And since you're all my alts...that's ALL me. :pound:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Go Giants!

Probably didn't hurt that I was lurking most of the time. Eeet iz gahm awn now though. You're totally screwed. Did you get Filo his dues?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the intimidation factor. We have been together for about 10 years and we have a pretty extensive shorthand with each other and a ton of long-standing inside jokes. That said, I think you have fit in great.

Welcome, and don't be such a stranger moving forward.

yeah, dude. Bring yer lunchpail and be ready to shake my hand.

I like coleslaw.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point.

So why, exactly, do you not post more? Sounds to me like 2011 and 2013 are your fault.

Meh, I didn't want to cheapen the experience. Like in Bruce Almighty, when almost everyone won the Lottery - like $17 each. I don't want to answer everyone's prayers, all the time. Plus, it wouldn't be good for baseball. They'd have to write a new Broadway play - "Damn Giants". They might write one anyway.

"Whatever Romo wants...Romo gets..."

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if this has been posted, but this is very well done:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was flipping through the channels and they were showing a World Series film about 2012 and then 2014. At one point, Posey says something like "when you win, you want to face the best and beat the best", referring to the 10th inning of game 4 2012 where Romo had to finish off Cabrera to win.

It made me realize (again) that the Giants never had it easy in the final innings of each World Series. In 2010 Wilson had to go through Hamilton (2010 MVP), Vlad, and Cruz, the 3 best Ranger hitters, on the road with a 2 run lead. In 2012, Romo had to go through Jackson, Kelly, and Cabrera (2012 MVP and triple crown winner) on the road with a 1 run lead. In 2014, Bum had to go through Hosmer, Butler, Gordon and Perez, on the road with a 1 run lead.

This is information I already knew, but just putting it together like that adds to the magic for me.

In 2009 the Yankees didn't have to face Utley, Howard or Werth in the 9th. In 2011, the Cards didn't have to face Hamilton, Young or Beltre in the 9th. In 2013, the Red Sox didn't have to face Beltran or Holliday in the 9th. In 2015, the Royals didn't have to face Cespedes or Murphy in the 9th.

This doesn't take anything away from those team's wins. It's just the Giants had to face an MVP and/or the teams best hitters in the close out inning of the close out game every series. Impressive.